older and wiser or

Guest bitsa lurcher

Just an hour ago, I was out on my ground and just stood there, watching the birds busying themselves. Thinking of the nests I'd found lately. Loving it. I thought then; I really do Love this time of year. Everything's so active and getting on about it's business. I can observe more wildlife in these times than at any other period of the year.

Soft? I don't think so. I lost the need to capture or kill Everything so long ago I don't really remember its passing. I think it's just a natural part of ones developement. I stopped egg collecting before I was fifteen. Stopped trapping song birds before I was twenty much. So on and so forth. Now I've got to the point where I simply kill what needs to be killed and I feel nothing in the doing. I can become excited and pleased with the result of a successful stalk, sure. But wether that results in me shooting something dead or simply getting a cracking view of something hard to observe, it's the fact that I accomplished the difficult which gives me the joy. That's why I'll post a long and detailed account of how it all went off, yet don't bother flashing up pictures of stuff I kill. What's the point?

These days? I'd far sooner show a rarer or difficult to find birds nest than show a dead thing. Any dick with a rifle can shoot something dead. Finding small, ground nesting birds nests, when out with that rifle, takes a more total awareness of ones surroundings. The likes of JD and P&G have inspired me so much since I found this place. Both capable and constant killers. Yet both able to prove themselves true Naturalist / Hunters. Capable of observing the minutae of what's around them. Now I'm just beggining to be able to make a tiny emmulation of their example and am showing more and more nests of my own. That gives me more satisfaction than all the kill tallys ever recorded :yes:

Some real food for thought there Ditch.

im only 20 and feel the same way if we catch and kill all the half grown rabbits with easy kills there will be no sport for the coming season!

with exception of specific pest control were theres a job that needs doing i think everyone should do the same and let the animals that give there life for us recouperate after the season and then ready for the sport next year!

cheers

dan

well,i had every intention of ferreting all year through but now i've decided against it(and i seem to be aquiring permission left right and centre in the last few wks! :wallbash: )i think patience and the knowledge to leave it for now and you'll get more in return later in the yr are valuable lessons to learn! saying that,i will still take the odd bunny etc with the dogs on the grasses...mainly to feed the ferts though.

Getting a bit soft happens to us all (well apart from the girls), the old blue pill does the trick :clapper: haven't found the need to use them

on a regular basis.

Joking a side the older you get the wiser you become and it makes sense to respect many things in life and it give you a chance to appreciate the world you live in.

Many good things have been said prior to my post and it just goes to show there are some good people on here.

All the best love Lee

It's a difficult question to answer there are obivous reasons to hunt. But you still have to decide why YOU do it and where you draw the line in seasons,age,type,sex ,number ,method,result of a hunt. Generaly if man is persistent enough and willing to use any avaliable method any animal can be mastered or defeated with minimal danger and effort. But then the feeling of acomplishment is minimized or lost altogether. So I think it's impossible for someone to decide why someone else does it and if they are doing it correctly. With the the larger predators we have,the questions are magnified. A rat doesn't really endear itself to people the way a young moutain lion does yet if it's mother is killing one head of beef cattle a week. It will have to be dispatched as a mercy killing following the mother's death or left to starve. Who feels any pride in killing a defensles cub? Many will condemn you for the act with out thought to the fact that this act saved a entire family of humans their lively hood and saved a additional 50 + beeves for human consumtion. therefore making it unneccasary for the larger population to hunt for their meat supply. Possibly saving 300 deer or their equivilant from being a required food source. And the question goes on and on. So if your happy with your reasons go ahead and enjoy your time afield otherwise go to the market either way something died for you to eat. and it's true for the damn vegeterians also. Be your line the life of a fish or a head of wheat, a life was altered for yours to continue.