hello from aus

Hi,just joined so please excuse any mistakes ,my family and I live in Queensland I have two boy's 15and 18.we have a share in a hunting property approx 12,000acres,hunting red deer.The roar has just finished we managed to shoot two stags both shot by the two boy's we passed up about six all great animals manageing to stalk too in most cases 25metres, one animal I called in by just immitating a doe call [can't roar to save my life] he came within 6metres [no camera]neither us wanted to shoot.The ground is extreme, hills and mostly forested arduous walks my first day out this year I thought I was having a heart attack on the walk back up. I have a light weight blaser 30-06 my two sons have Remington's titaniums 308 and 30-06.We have hunted goats and wild pigs on on different properties.Most years we pass up the chance to shoot a stag, stalking is as much a thrill.

Edited by dave edwards

Hello Dave

Good to see you are selective - anyway with the rut on they are generally full of adrenaline and take a bit of hanging to get it out of them. 35 metres is quite close to a big stag!! I have been that close several times, once a big chap climbed up onto an old disused railway line so that he could be level with me - don't mind telling you I got pretty nervous as they seem to loose their fear of man during the rut. Put the safety off on the basis if he took 3 paces towards me I would shoot him in the thickest part. Luckily after about a minute he looked sideways to see where his 4 hinds were and decided to join them.

I shoot Blaser also but 6.5x55 The UK has a growing population of wild pigs (boar to us!!) however the minimum calibre for them is .270. Seems daft when you consider the great African hunter Bell shot most of his elephants with a 6.5

Good stalking

Peter

Hello Dave

Good to see you are selective - anyway with the rut on they are generally full of adrenaline and take a bit of hanging to get it out of them. 35 metres is quite close to a big stag!! I have been that close several times, once a big chap climbed up onto an old disused railway line so that he could be level with me - don't mind telling you I got pretty nervous as they seem to loose their fear of man during the rut. Put the safety off on the basis if he took 3 paces towards me I would shoot him in the thickest part. Luckily after about a minute he looked sideways to see where his 4 hinds were and decided to join them.

I shoot Blaser also but 6.5x55 The UK has a growing population of wild pigs (boar to us!!) however the minimum calibre for them is .270. Seems daft when you consider the great African hunter Bell shot most of his elephants with a 6.5

Good stalking

Peter

Thanks for your reply,I was just speaking to my Mother back in the UK and she said her local wood has wild boar, sounds great I hope they don't shoot them out of hand carefull management and fun for all.Australia they are pretty cruel hunt them down with oversize dogs and while the dogs hold the pig by the ears they stab the poor animal.We have wild pigs travel through our property where we live,the boys nail the odd hare leave the rabbits alone we are hopeing they breed up.The local council have a baiting program to kill the dingoes,we don't participate, we find, leave their natural food alone walabies,and the dogs leave your stock, we have noticed straight after baiting you see young dogs they have lost their parents to the poison,they are a problem because they have lost their tutors and so they then snap at everything.The boys and I have been invited pig shooting on a friends property which we are looking forward to.We hunted them at the 'Cape"great fun that was,wild country,a 100 square mile property.I note you have a Blaser great rifle you are right, the feeling of being close to a stag roaring, is amazing.All the best. Dave

Edited by dave edwards