ATTENTION all TWITCHERS

my father in laws just shown me a cam corder clip of a bird in his garden

hes breed finches and pigeons and has a good knowledge and a decent collection of bird books but we cannot identify the bird he recorded

it was with a pair of black birds who chase it away after 5 minutes

heres the dicription (its NOT a ring ouzel , magpie or blacky, nor was it ringed)

blackbird size but shorter necked

yellow beak

matt black cap

broad white collar all the way round its neck

purpley hazy breast (no where near the bluey colour of a maggie)

rest of body and wings were the colour of a female blacky but with a purple haze.

does anyone know what it is or sudgest a site for help? :thumbs:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Doesn't really fit Belted Kingfisher or Daurian Jackdaw. Either way, it's most likely an escapee from an aviery. Could try Google Images for Grackles? And Mynah's. But it's really anyones guess. Especially without a decent photo.

Guest Ditch_Shitter
ive just googled all these and nothing even close

anyone know how to get vhs video onto the internet?

Could ye not play it on tv. Pause it and take a digital shot of the image on screen? I know it may come out f*cked, but it's worth a try.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Digga; As I type this I'm entering a Birders Forum. I know it's a Thrush, by the photo's ye sent me and which I'll be showing here shortly for ye. But I've googled Hundreds of images of thrushes and can't find it. The Lads will crack it though. There's long since been two definative works on Thrushes and on Blackbirds in print. Very popular with the Twitchers :good:

Should have the answer by tonight.

Selection of ye shots to follow presently.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:hmm: Having now studied the pictures properly; It does look like a bog standard, male Turdus merula (Blackbird) with the commonly seen white feathers. Only your talk of 'purply hazes' and female like plumage leaves it open to possibilities. It's on the Birders forum now and we should have some pretty firm and well founded opinions shortly enough.

Here's the shots I showed them:

post-3041-1208115126.jpg

post-3041-1208115260.jpg

post-3041-1208115336.jpg

I would agree with you DS looks like a normal blackbird from the pics maybe just a colour mutation have seen a few pied blackbirds over the years , but difficult to be definative as the pictures are not of great definition