SENSE OF DIRECTION

Iwonder if it's to do with a collies need to be directed/handled? When I was training and working gundogs you sometimes came across dogs (usually trial dogs) that were overly dependant on their handler and as such went to pieces when out of sight of the handler. Terriers and Salukis being more independant types are maybe better equipped to cope when they find themselves alone?

a fair point but doesnt equate to this bitch as when sent out on a long run she will cast out like a collie and use the dead ground to come up on game which she cant possibly see but she always comes up right on them ... the problem occours if she has been led on a bit of a dance accross the ground or if there is even a sparse woodland involved ... i can honestly be 20 feet away from her in a wooded environment and she will be spinning wildly panicking that she cant find me ..................

hi mate, just wondering what sort of bond you have with the dog?

What age is the dog, and have you owned it from a pup?

all the best.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iwonder if it's to do with a collies need to be directed/handled? When I was training and working gundogs you sometimes came across dogs (usually trial dogs) that were overly dependant on their handler and as such went to pieces when out of sight of the handler. Terriers and Salukis being more independant types are maybe better equipped to cope when they find themselves alone?

a fair point but doesnt equate to this bitch as when sent out on a long run she will cast out like a collie and use the dead ground to come up on game which she cant possibly see but she always comes up right on them ... the problem occours if she has been led on a bit of a dance accross the ground or if there is even a sparse woodland involved ... i can honestly be 20 feet away from her in a wooded environment and she will be spinning wildly panicking that she cant find me ..................

hi mate, just wondering what sort of bond you have with the dog?

What age is the dog, and have you owned it from a pup?

all the best.

she is a first cross collie grey that i have owned from a pup and she has been out in the field with me since she was 8 weeks of age ... as for a bond this bitch would go through fire for me ........

if my dog gets out of sight he returns to where he left me, you cna stuff them up by moving location and then they might not see you, even if its only 50metres

see this alot with staghounds here that i have hunted with,k the return to where they jumped off the ute

Guest joe ox
if my dog gets out of sight he returns to where he left me, you cna stuff them up by moving location and then they might not see you, even if its only 50metres

see this alot with staghounds here that i have hunted with,k the return to where they jumped off the ute

Good point with some dogs its not wise to move from where they left you.

to be honset i think your young dog will settle ....when my mutt has been on the back of a hare ,,and lets say its took him three fields away ...he near enough back tracks the course if you know what i mean .and will make his way back to where the course started .....i dont know what kind off terrain your in but round me its hilly small fields mostly ....and i just keep walking ...the dogs always catch up ...if i dont sight them for around the 5 min mark i know theres either somthing up .or there onto somthing the last time my terrier dissapeared ..which like yours,, can find me anytime ...i found it with a snare round its neck ////

i doubt very much if she will ever change ... she is 20 months old now ... i have tried leaving her to her own devices many times and many times i have watched her racing away in completely the opposite direction to where i am in the vain hope of trying to find me ... a quick peep on the whistle and the brakes are on and back she comes with that relieved look in her eyes LOL .... it will be something i will have to live with and to be honest its no big deal .... i dont allow my dogs to hunt out of veiw of me anyway and it only becomes an issue if she has chased something that has taken her a fair way away ..................

somtimes ive no choice about letting mine hunt out off site ...because of the terrain .....if iam walking through a woods or somwhere thats got alot off cover ....like hedges bushers ...ect ect ....ive watched the dogs ..they cant see me but i can see them ...the munchy and the terrier dont panic ..they just keep looking for me untill they have found me ...but the pup panics ..7 months old ......but hes getting better and has started settling abit ..and i do mean abit ......but i think ...well imo ..its where the brought up and how .....from a early age mine are out of site of me for a short while ...nearly everytime we go out ...so they learn not to panic ..and soon realise iam not far away ..jmo...... :victory:

i think i need to clarify here ... my dogs are never molly coddled as pups ... i dont wait for them i dont lift them over or under fences i dont fuss them if something scares them ... i leave them work things out for themselves and learn about the big bad world in their own way and time .... i am not saying this bitch is a neurotic panicking lunatic if she cant see me ... what i am saying is that this bitch has a terrible sense of direction and thats that .... and i can see from watching how easily this dog gets disorientated how other people have lost dogs when out hunting .....

snoops the ground around here is very undulating and i could very easily let the dogs go out of sight hunting ... the reason i dont is not because i might lose them but because i enjoy watching the dogs work and want to see every hunt or course so when the dogs are about to crest a hill out of sight i whistle them up to a stop and they wait untill i get there to send them on again ......

most of my hunting is well a bit iffy and a dog that doesnt come back is a liability after a chase , it takes a dog good season to learn and i always take a pup out with an oldie for as long as it takes him to learn to come back after a chase, some dogs do take time to realise once the games gone back to master and some well if wound up want to hunt till they drop , some saluks ive had took a year from puppy hood to learn to come back to jeep or me, whatever im up to ,most learn if road siding once they catch back to motor or me with game and if bigger qaurry they kill wait and if a long time i send dog on to find , never had a dog that gets lost once mature had them fech off out the county on a hare or roe and had to drive the roads with binocs to find them lying with there prey feched and tired usaly a massive chase on a hare or roe when it was all legal , the best method is like me ive always got a sibling an older one to train them to come back ,from big chases ,if they dont learn to come back by 14 to 16 moons then well ,it would be no good for the game im afraid

most of my hunting is well a bit iffy and a dog that doesnt come back is a liability after a chase , it takes a dog good season to learn and i always take a pup out with an oldie for as long as it takes him to learn to come back after a chase, some dogs do take time to realise once the games gone back to master and some well if wound up want to hunt till they drop

whin the bitch ALWAYS comes back immediately afetr a chase or catch that isnt the problem ... getting her bearings is .....

if they dont learn to come back by 14 to 16 moons then well ,it would be no good for the game im afraid

so no matter how good a dog is at working because its sense of direction isnt the best then you would get rid ????????

Hello Socks,

Try to pic a specific spot where you can slip your dog from an area that is somewhat of an island (lots of distance all around) yet offers you the chance to glide behind an object and see if your dog figures out your still in close proximity.

Did'nt word that very well, a slip from an area of cover thats something of an island could easilly provide her with a sole ref point with no other options/distractions.

tried taht mate and a wole host of other (brain inducing) strategies .... the bottom line is that she is a typical female and has no sense of direction :laugh::laugh::laugh: ...........