Any Rats?

Does anyone have any ratting stories to tell?

I've been through 9 pages of posts and haven't found any! :hmm:

I don't have any terriers, but love to read about terriers working rats :wacko:

Are rats hard to find nowadays? :signthankspin:

Not so much a story,a few hours ratting whilst threshing was going on.A couple of weeks ago we went to a farm where things are done a bit old school to finish of a stack that we started a month ago when the tractor driving the thresher gave up the go,we arrived at the farm to see the chaps had already started threshing so we got to rebuilding the bale wall we put up to slow the bolting rats.As the pile was getting smaller we and the dogs were waiting for the action to start,we waited and waited and we were starting to think that the rats had moved on,we were wrong and as the stack reached the final layers then the rats started to leave the stack.The action was fast but the dogs were dealing with everything,one rat broke through the bale wall and even made it to a hedge where the farmer and a worker said they've lost that one,well these plummers have good noses and i put my dogs on the line and hunted it up and delt with him.The farmer was well impressed as was everyone working and 2 of the lads were working before and had heard we were coming back with the dogs so put in a extra days work so they could see the dogs working.The stack was stacked on a row of bales to keep it off the ground and when the stack was finished we set about turning these over,under everyother one was a nest of half grown buggers abd a couple of biggies which kept the dogs well busy for a while,we ended the second day with just over 100 rats with 28 being caught the first time there,a few pics of the scene and eod pics.A great day and one myself or the kids and folks there will forget quickly,the camera dates on the pics are all wrong so ignore them and pics on the next post.

Got to go to a farm over the winter who had a few rats around the place,we were mostly going at night and when we arrived at the farm it was go from the start.We would park then hold the dogs walk into the yard on with the lights and away we went,there is a pile of carrots and parsnips which the farmer feeds his livestock which we usally get a few off.We then hunt out the sheds and although we don't get big numbers every night we were hunting this farm 3-4 nights a week,we have had a couple of days there smoking and digging but the best bit of all was at night out on a field where he was putting down small piles of feed and the rats were coming right out for them.Now i have had some grand times lamping rabbits but lamping fleeing rats on grass fields takes some beating,what with lambing we haven't been there for a little while but that just means more rats when we do go back,a few pics of times over the winter.

1sttime041.jpg

1sttime030.jpg

1sttime043.jpg

1sttime034.jpg

1sttime072.jpg

4th061.jpg

No massive hauls in any one go 30ish being the most but always caught a 1/2 dozen or so every visit,one place the kids didn't mind getting out in the cold at night.