What dog to get? To do the job!

Breeds and crosses go in and out of fashion. There are good and bad in all breeds and crosses. Once you have decided on a type that pleases your eye the most important thing is to get a dog with proven working blood, or even better, a pup from a proven mating. There are plenty of good looking dogs that are not worth feeding. You will seldom go wrong with any of the common lurchers if they have true working backgrounds,

cheers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all, i have started to become intersted in working dogs on rabbits, we take out my friends patterdale terrier at the moment and it can catch the odd few young ones but doesnt have the mind or the speed to catch a rabbit at full pace. As i say i am really interested in getting a dog that can work rabbit out ferreting. And also be able to catch rabbits out lamping. I would not want this dog just to work but i would also want this dog as a pet and a companion. I have seen a few dogs like the lurcher, greyhound, whippet, bedlington and saluki. My parents are not the most keen but i think they can be persuaded, my dad wants a dog that will be a pet and a worker not just the working type, he wants a springer as he had them when he grew up, but i do not want one for the abvious reason that they will not be of any help to me out ferreting. I am not looking to buy one right now but i want to make the right choice. I want a shortcoated dog that is very fast and brainy. What size (tts)?

SO can anyone give me any advice and tips on the subject???????

ATB OK

hello i would say most dogs working dogs can be a good pet aswell as a companion

but for the brains your looking for id go with collie x grey you can get them smooth or

ruff coated and size would depend on the breeder i suppose id say a good 25tts is a good alrounder good luck :thumbs:

Spot on :victory: BIRD

ollie i would go for a collie cross, and if you have never had a dog before go for a 1/4 collie 3/4 greyhound as a half bred may be a bit much for a first time dog owner. most collie crosses come out smooth coated unless their a berdie collie cross which can be rough or smooth coated but can be a lot harder to train and handle than a border collie cross

a 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhound but looked a lot like what some half bred border would look like

Picture068.jpg

1/4 border collie 3/4 greyhound

Picture003.jpg

Picture058.jpg

2001.jpg

a 1/8 border 1/8 berdie 3/4 greyhound

Picture028.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture032.jpg

2009.jpg

You've had some great advice from people who know a lot more about lurchers than I do but I'll add my tuppence worth anyway and focus on the fact that you want a rabbitting dog that your folks will approve of as a pet.

I had the almost impossible task of persuading my wife that I wanted a lurcher pup especially as she had never had a dog before. The ban was a factor for me so I wanted a dog for rabbits only. We decided on a whippet or whippet X and very happily settled with a whippet x beddy/grey.

The reason she was happy with that choice was he is small (he eventually made 20.5" TTS) which according to the missus equals cute; has got virtually no doggy smell, hardly casts and is very clean so not too much housework; great with our kids, their mates and any visitors - a very friendly, clever and loving wee dog who is just as happy sleeping as he is running.

The reason I like him is all the above plus he's fast enough for rabbits. He's also very whippety in appearance - with his wee coat on he's a whippet and we barely get a glance when we're out and about which suits me just fine. Coat off and his natural brindle camo allows him to virtually disappear.

To be honest we're both inexperienced and don't catch a lot of bunnies but we have a whole lot of fun learning and for me it's having fun with my wee dog that matters. Good luck with your parents and I hope you get yourself a good dog whatever you decide.

TTS =TO THE SHOULDER............if you are mainly after rabbits then a collie cross should do you fine

or any average sized lurcher to lurcher breeding ,the main thing should be that you get the pup off working parents regardless off the cross ,when you are ready for a pup ask on here or others sites

and take it from there.All the best Roybo :victory:

depends on the land your hunting,what quarry your after mate at the end of the day tis up to yourself to make that decision

I will be hunting big and small fields and some rough land so a bit of both, i want the speed in the dog so it can catch quite quickly before the rabbit can go back in to the hedge. RAbbits mainly so please can you suggest youre best ideal dog for this type of hunting?

atb ollie

TTS =TO THE SHOULDER............if you are mainly after rabbits then a collie cross should do you fine

or any average sized lurcher to lurcher breeding ,the main thing should be that you get the pup off working parents regardless off the cross ,when you are ready for a pup ask on here or others sites

and take it from there.All the best Roybo :victory:

Cheers bud when you say collie cross what do you mean collie cross what? atb ollie

depends on the land your hunting,what quarry your after mate at the end of the day tis up to yourself to make that decision

I will be hunting big and small fields and some rough land so a bit of both, i want the speed in the dog so it can catch quite quickly before the rabbit can go back in to the hedge. RAbbits mainly so please can you suggest youre best ideal dog for this type of hunting?

atb ollie

the main thing ,regardless of the cross,should be that the parents are doing what you want the pups to do,that gives you half a start but as said a collie cross greyhound, a bedlington cross greyhound,or a lurcher to lurcher

"as long as the parents do the job the pup has got to go"

Edited by roybo