Any HMR users

Which weight of HMR ammo do you prefer?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which weight do you prefer in ammo?

• Standard 17gr
    • Heavier 20gr

I know it's only 3gr of difference but I think it makes a difference, the 20's seem to be flatter & more decisive at the business end if that makes sense.

On rabbit you notice the difference especially with head shots, the standard 17gr looks to have more drag into the vortex but the 20gr tends to just kill it with less dragging/obliterating of the target.

Hope that makes sense, just awake & brain isn't engaged :whistling:

Got rid of the HMR for now (it's back on my ticket despite asking for HM2, but hey ho) but when I had it, I used 17gr Vmax to great effect. I tried the 20gr CCI JHP, but they didn't like the rifle as much. Never found the 20gr VMax.

Hi Folks,

thought I'd post it as a poll, probably easier.

So what's your views?

I use federal premium v shok 17g. They group very tight and do the business on rabbits, pigeons and crows. Took a pigeon at 305yards, can'nt ask for any better than that!

Hi Folks,

thought I'd post it as a poll, probably easier.

So what's your views?

I use federal premium v shok 17g. They group very tight and do the business on rabbits, pigeons and crows. Took a pigeon at 305yards, can'nt ask for any better than that!

305 yrds!!, thats a hell of a shot with a hmr, works out at about 32" drop with a 100 yrd zero.

good going fella.

furthest with mine so far(only had it a few days) is 120yrds and i though that was miles.

regards

ss06

Edited by sportingshooter06

I was going to say, thats a hell of a claim!!!! :icon_eek: . The HMR round is no longer supersonic after 270yrds, and there after becomes very unstable. If you rifle shoots 1MOA at 100 yrds that means that it should shoot a 3'' group at 300yrds. But as we all no the HMR is so badly effected by wind that a 3'' group becomes very unlikely at that range. However if your being truth full good on ya, as sportingshooter sed thats a very good shot. :notworthy:

I’ve only used 17g rounds to data and can’t see the point in changing, is there much difference with the 20g?

It took me ages to find a round that my rifle (cz452) likes, I started out on CCI hollow points but they smashed things to bits and the groupings were all over the place. I then moved onto Remington ballistic tip but the groups were once again rubbish, I’m now using the Winchester ballistic tips and my rifle fecking loves them, my groups are now tighter than a ducks arse and meat damage is minimal.

I’ve only used 17g rounds to data and can’t see the point in changing, is there much difference with the 20g?

It took me ages to find a round that my rifle (cz452) likes, I started out on CCI hollow points but they smashed things to bits and the groupings were all over the place. I then moved onto Remington ballistic tip but the groups were once again rubbish, I’m now using the Winchester ballistic tips and my rifle fecking loves them, my groups are now tighter than a ducks arse and meat damage is minimal.

Thats good news on the Winchesters i just bought 150 of em to use in my 452. i have tried the remmy's and they were OK but not great shakes.

I was going to say, thats a hell of a claim!!!! :icon_eek: . The HMR round is no longer supersonic after 270yrds, and there after becomes very unstable. If you rifle shoots 1MOA at 100 yrds that means that it should shoot a 3'' group at 300yrds. But as we all no the HMR is so badly effected by wind that a 3'' group becomes very unlikely at that range. However if your being truth full good on ya, as sportingshooter sed thats a very good shot. :notworthy:

Cheers. Spent all week chasing pigeons off rape and trying to work out drop on scope mildots. It was a still day no wind at all. It was a bit of a one off. Most shots are around 150 - 170 yards, but that was one to remember!!

I currently use the CCI 20gr, used to use a lot of the Remington ammo (6-700 a week) until I had a nasty experience with them. Ready to take a 25 yard standing shot & my whole field of vision was lit up plus & almighty bang.

This was the result of the rim splitting on the case of the round subsequently pushing the head through the barrel & a lot of the explosion back past the bolt face.

Will put some pics up of the casing when I find them.

Should add, its a CZ (heavy/short barrel)I use - most accurate out of the box.