Stainless or not stainless that is the question!

I have no experience of stainless moderators, but would assume they still have to be cleaned out periodically anyway? Mine is mild steel, with some sort of phosphate coating,which will prevent rust unless it gets scratched off. I certainly don't clean it after every outing, but perhaps once a month.

Just screw the endcap off, and a load of baffle washers and tension springs comes out. All will be caked with a greeny-grey deposit,I suppose it's powder residue. I just brush the residue off the parts, scrub the tube with a bottle brush and let it all dry. Then re-assemble it with a little copperslip grease on the end cap threads. I assume, if allowed to become choked with deposits,it will cease to silence the noise. So I suppose a stainless bodied version would be the same without some cleaning?

I have no experience of stainless moderators, but would assume they still have to be cleaned out periodically anyway? Mine is mild steel, with some sort of phosphate coating,which will prevent rust unless it gets scratched off. I certainly don't clean it after every outing, but perhaps once a month.

Just screw the endcap off, and a load of baffle washers and tension springs comes out. All will be caked with a greeny-grey deposit,I suppose it's powder residue. I just brush the residue off the parts, scrub the tube with a bottle brush and let it all dry. Then re-assemble it with a little copperslip grease on the end cap threads. I assume, if allowed to become choked with deposits,it will cease to silence the noise. So I suppose a stainless bodied version would be the same without some cleaning?

I went for a stainless one a pez i think it just seemed far better in quality than the other options. It was also much thinner ie diameter so i think looks better on the rifle. Only trouble is it shines a bit so have cut down one of the little fellas bike inner tubes and sliped that over, problem solved. It does clean up very well with a little bore cleaner and autoglym on the outside if ya want to be really posh. Think geoff c is right in what hes says about general use.

First Post so here goes:

I'm about to buy a moderator for the first time and I have been told that non stainless ones can rust very easily if not cleaned carefully after each outing. Any views?

hi mate you on about the outside of the mod as stainless or the internals of the mod ?

if so some mods have stainless internals so they last longer from the blast of the rifle.

as for the outside on none stainless ones they will be fine as long as you put some oil on after use.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I never knew ye could get them with stainless innards. Sounds the business.

Mine's just matt metal with a sort of 'feel' to it. Bog standard Utra. I too was thinking how a stainless one would glint. Sod that! And, as for covering it up with rubber? Why not just cover one like mine in rubber? But then, I don't need to as mine's non reflective and I wipe it with my oily rag, just like the rest of the metal. No rust on it that I've ever noticed.

Ever get another one though, I'll be checking out the stainless inside jobbies :yes:

Come to that; I'm not sure what my one has inside anyway! :unsure::laugh:

Mine's just matt metal with a sort of 'feel' to it. Bog standard Utra. I too was thinking how a stainless one would glint. Sod that! And, as for covering it up with rubber? Why not just cover one like mine in rubber? But then, I don't need to as mine's non reflective and I wipe it with my oily rag, just like the rest of the metal. No rust on it that I've ever noticed.

Ever get another one though, I'll be checking out the stainless inside jobbies :yes:

its only the bits where the bullets pass though mate not the hole of it

some mods just have the 1st one or two rings done. as they are the ones that has the most battering and get burnt the most :D

Edited by jamie g

Most of the mod's are fine to not clean till about 150 to 200 rounds have passed through them in centrefire rifles. then a good clean is necessary, but as for every trip out no. a good clean down if it gets wet while out is all that is needed. :thumbs:

Ditch if you covered one like yours in rubber it would rust and thats the difference, I dont have to remove the rubber ever cause its stainless :Dpost-16528-1206178303_thumb.jpg

Here it is without the rubber sleeve.

That stainless mod looks good. What's it like compared to a T8 or P8 noise reduction and price wise?

James I'm not sure exactly cause i bought the whole package rifle,mod,tripod,ammo,site, but i think it was a couple hundred quid or more. It just seemed so much more refined and better engineered than the T8 job. Like i say the only let down i found was out stalking it was apparent how bright it was, but the rubber tube has sorted that. Ive never fired my rifle with out it but compared to my mates 220 swift unmoderated its only a whisper.