The keeper from our small pheasant/duck syndicate phoned up the other night to say that he wants us all to meet up in a few Saturdays time to clean out the poults pens and spread lime around (probably to kill germs). Do some other works like cutting some level areas out on a gap between two woods which is at 45 degrees which makes for some unusual high birds.

It seems like ages since the end of the season and we all met up and had a laugh, I know the start of the season is still a long way off but soon we will be called upon to plant the small cover crop by hand, yes by hand !!

Then it will be time for the birds coming and then the agonising wait till the start of the season AGAIN.

Sorry for boring you but I really enjoy it.

edited to say should this have been in gamekeeping and conservation, could not make my mind up :icon_redface:

Well for starters I am no expert.

What he got us doing last year was all in a line about 12 of us with a stick and we poked a hole in the ground and put the seed in, simple. The area we planted was approx 100yds wide and approx 150yds long.

We have used sunflower he decides what we use. Some people use artichokes and or mustard.

I suppose you could use anything like that.

I hope this is helpfull.

planting by hand :blink: ..... nutters

Surely you can get a quad bike there! , as you can hire all of the ploughing and drilling gear for the back of a quad bike now!!

'Kings' do a good range of seeds, also look up BASC, and Game Conservancy.

Things like mustard and rape can be hand broadcast, but it never creates a good crop- (in my experience)!

planting by hand :blink: ..... nutters

I can understand this thinking (and we probably are nutters) but you must understand its a small syndicate trying to keep the cost down it also gets the members talking and having a laugh whilst doing it.

It is not a case of doing it as fast as possible as they may do it on a large commercial shoot.

• 2 weeks later...