what is the best bred of a lurcher for ferreting

I dont think theres any hard and fast rules over which type of dog is best for ferreting, it really depends on the type of land you work and the type of dog you prefer. Most lurchers will take to ferreting if they are brought up with it.

We currently run a 1/4 beardie 3/4 grey and a 1/2 deer/grey, as the land we run our dogs on requires a robust type of dog.

DSC_0096-2.jpg

DSC_0067-1.jpg

DSC_0051-1.jpg

post-69-1159797716_thumb.jpg

DSCN2426.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whippet has been bred for many years as a purpose built rabbit dog. So why ruin the bloodline by crossing out? Crossing them with a terrior of any sort reduces the speed, reduces the common sense, makes them as hard mouthed as hell, which is ok if you are rabbiting for a bit of fun. But 90% of my rabbits go to the butchery trade. They sure do not want mangled bunnies. Terroirs by their very nature are noisy creatures, thats what they were bred to do. As for whippets not handling rough ground, ask Mike Brown, they spend half their days running up and down mountains. There is a world of difference between the modern show bred whippet and the working whippet. Yes the working whippet does get knocked about but no more so than any other sight hound, but everyone has their own choices, me I will stick to a whippet.

hello most of my rabbits go to the butcher trade as well and i have 2 3/4 bedlington x 1/4 greyhound s. they are coming to be 6 now and still catching . and a dog doesnt need to be fast to catch rabbits. also the dog that is used for that sort of cross you was dising is a bedlington and they are a quite breed.

also am not knocking whippets at all because there good little catch dogs but for ferreting i don't think they have the coat or the nose like a beddyx or collie does.

does anyone no of when they started using beddy blood because most of the old tape lurchers are all rough

I dont think theres any hard and fast rules over which type of dog is best for ferreting, it really depends on the type of land you work and the type of dog you prefer. Most lurchers will take to ferreting if they are brought up with it.

I don't agree, if your just after a dog that can run a few bolting rabbits,and thats if the dog happens to be standing next the right hole at the time then yes any dog will do. There are dogs that chase a few bolters and then there are ferreting dogs, they are not the same.

the type of land i hunt you need a pacy dog and something thats fast for over 30 yds and hardy , so3\4 beddie 1\4 whipp maybe a bit small and yappy as some of these beddies are niosy but good dogs i prefer nearer the grew collie crosses as they are much more versatile and catchh allsorts of game every bodys diffrent

what i must say about rabbiting with dogs a well bred and sch0olled dog at 23 to 24 and bred of treid and tested workers catch alot more than big lumps of dogs as i says before a lurcher is the real deal expert pot filler but master of none, cant see the reason of smalll dogs i prefer a dog thats 24 to 26 wel balanced fast and can fill the freezer and perform at more than just a rabbiting dog , ive saw small dogs tiol to see rabbs were ones a bit more leggy over the feild they go , rabbiting is only one peice of a good lurchers artilery cheers

The whippet has been bred for many years as a purpose built rabbit dog.
were they i would say they have been bred more for a small pet, show and race dogs. Was the whippet first bred for work or as a small sighthound for around the house?
  • 2 weeks later...

Got to remember that if you mainly ferret to nets the primary function of a dog is simply to give accurate marks and maybe pin any bunny that starts to wriggle out of the net.Collie types , mongrels seen to love this job.Bolting bunnies for dogs to hopefully catch is a different game.Take advice but within reason you should get the type of dog that you actually fancy owning.That way you will be more likely to work at its training ,overcome problems and build a relationship.

post-13773-1206876990_thumb.jpg

Edited by comanche
Got to remember that if you mainly ferret to nets the primary function of a dog is simply to give accurate marks and maybe pin any bunny that starts to wriggle out of the net.Collie types , mongrels seen to love this job.Bolting bunnies for dogs to hopefully catch is a different game.Take advice but within reason you should get the type of dog that you actually fancy owning.That way you will be more likely to work at its training ,overcome problems and build a relationship.

well i own a collie mungrel type and she can certainly give simple marks and pin the odd bunny in a net .........

_MG_0954.jpg

meandtegan006.jpg

oh yhea and the mungrel can catch bolters aswell .........

_MG_0803.jpg

_MG_0362.jpg

_MG_1300_edited-1.jpg

_MG_1025.jpg

if you honestly think that any old mungrel dog can be a ferreters dog (not a ferreting dog) then you have a lot to learn about ferreting and the job of a ferreters dog ...........

Fair enough opinion mate. All I was saying was that for pure net -work speed comes second to marking ability. In fact it comes third . Obedience comes first. You're welcome to disagree. Obviously, if due to thick cover or similar circumstances, you can't use nets or you want to see a dog after a rabbit you will be needing a fast dog. As it happens I own a whippet cross and a collie lurcher,but you are right I know sweet Fanny Adams about anything let alone ferreting.Your mongrel looks great by the way .Cheers! :laugh::thumbs:

post-13773-1206905623_thumb.jpg

Edited by comanche

there no dog any better than others ive saw saluk crosses and whippet greyhounds and some good collie crosses rabbiting ferreting, all in all i prefer the collie line breds ive saw and had for years , speed nose and hardiness for catching rabbs in all sorts of places, but you must get them of tried and tested workers mate and have pace grit and nose all the best, never saw many beddie crosses as ive not seen many genuine working beddies so cant comment saw afew but were lamp dogs cheers