so wanna rack you cider makers brains, apart from apples, what equipment would I need to try and make cider, theres a shop in town, selling kits, plus loads of bits and bobs, not wanting to buy stuff that aint nessessary

cheers

have been making homebrew ale and larger for about a year now. Had my first go at cider last autumn. You can make "turbo cider" in about a week from apple juice and yeast but I made the real stuff from my own apples. Found it hard to find info on it. It seems you can add sugar to make the process quicker or if you rely on the natural sugars in the apples it will take all winter and into spring to ferment. I went for the slower traditional approach but hedged my bets by adding a sachet of cider yeast. It looked like apple sauce for months but over christmas it cleared up relly well. Once the weather warms up i'll test it and maybe bottle it then with a bit of sugar in each bottle.

I got fruit press from here http://www.brew-it-yourself.co.uk/shop/cat...46b414c1c6012a8

Mincing up the apple before pressing was time -consuming and you don't get much yield from the apples. If it works out i'll be making a bigger batch this autumn.

Spud

matty,cider was made long before welders! i see yer in wales,next time yer looking for a day out pop down to hereford to the cider museum.take a camera,thers several wooden cider presses there ,it wouldnt take too much working out.

ive been making cider for a while ,i dont use apples i use the scrumpy kits,they realy make a nice pint,ive found that it helps to add 4 cartons of cheapy apple juice,boil it first to ensure theres no preservative left in it as this could kill yer yeast.

looks interesting fish, if im down that way i'll go have a look but its a 2 hr drive there other wise. youve given me an idea, ill have a look on google for a siple press that requires no welding.

cheers,

• 1 month later...

anyone tryed making turbo cider. seems simple enough, few litres of apple juice, spoon full of yeast and add more sugar if you want it stronger. i've just got a litre fermenting using turbo yeast :icon_redface: and a few spoon fulls of sugar but think i need to boil the juice first to kill the preservatives - its not fermenting as fast as a sugar water mash usually does but still going.... slowly.

Edited by maty j