scope size?

Hi all

i am getting a Tikka T3 in .223 next month and was wondering what magnification scopes

you guys use for your long range shots

i will be useing mine for targets aswell as for foxes max distance at range will be 600m

and for foxes around 150-300 thanks

arcpest

Hi all

i am getting a Tikka T3 in .223 next month and was wondering what magnification scopes

i will be useing mine for targets aswell as for foxes max distance at range will be 600m

arcpest

600 mtrs you will need something like 6-24x.

I had been using a 6-24x40 4200 bushnell elite with my 223 cz varmint and now have a 5.5-22x 50 nightforce nxs on it..

I`d suggest you get ascope with a 30mm tube cause your going to need a load of elevation to get out to 600.. :thumbs:

Rgds

Dwight

Guest JohnGalway

I don't shoot targets. But, for lamping you don't want to be getting a scope with the lowest magnification any higher than 6x. 50 or 56mm objective lens I'd imagine and I'd also agree with the 30mm tube.

check out the leupold LRT/M1 6.5x20x50 with a staggering 72MOA elevation, Not that i'm biased but 'm only after comming back from shooting clay pigeons at 440 yards, :icon_eek: with my trusty .243.

it also has a 30mm tube, lifetime warrenty, target turrets mil dot the whole dog's danglies, :blink:http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-lrt-riflescopes/mark-4-6-5-20x50mm-lrt-m1-illum-reticle/

Or

How about a zeisis conquest scope, very cheap from the states, excellent light gathering ability 6.5x20x50 only 25mm tube but excellent clarity, right up there with the best of them for a small price. check out the links. ;)http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=1923

At the cheap end of the scale, Nikko do a 6-24 Nighteater that'll be pretty good (have their 4-16 and that's decent). for a bit more money I have the MTC 6-24x56, which now I have one without a dusty reticle is brilliant. Both are 30mm.

I can't wait to use it in anger but I need a moderator on the 22-250 first :(

Hi all

arcpest

There is no answer as this is such a personal thing...I know one guy who insists on using 24X on his 12ft lb Air rifle to shoot rabbits at 20 yards!!! I think that's :crazy: but he likes it!!

The distances you mention really are about the max you would expect to use a .223 for tops! I tend to use 6X on most of my scopes from Air rifle to Centrefire, day and night, target and hunting right up to about 200 yards. Only put the .223 through its paces at 600 yards at Bisley the once, but I seem to recall I was up to about 14X.

As has largely been said, optical quality and light transmission can be more important than X.

ATB

Deker

There is no answer as this is such a personal thing...I know one guy who insists on using 24X on his 12ft lb Air rifle to shoot rabbits at 20 yards!!! I think that's :crazy: but he likes it!!

I agree it does seem like to much for close range bunnies

when i had my fac Rapid 7 i only had a 3x9x56 and that was good to 60 yards+

thanks for the input

how did you get on at Bisley?

arcpest

I agree it does seem like to much for close range bunnies

when i had my fac Rapid 7 i only had a 3x9x56 and that was good to 60 yards+

thanks for the input

how did you get on at Bisley?

arcpest

I'm Secretary of a club at Bisley so I shoot there a lot, and my .223 is a Tikka T3 Lite. 600 yards is about all the way for the .223, although I do know a few people who use it quite regularly at 600. I was happy enough when I got the first one on the "board" at 600, it is a f*****g long way, and was just having a bit of fun, I usually target with it at 200 and sometimes 300 and rarely push it past 200 hunting!

I'm Secretary of a club at Bisley so I shoot there a lot, and my .223 is a Tikka T3 Lite. 600 yards is about all the way for the .223, although I do know a few people who use it quite regularly at 600. I was happy enough when I got the first one on the "board" at 600, it is a f*****g long way, and was just having a bit of fun, I usually target with it at 200 and sometimes 300 and rarely push it past 200 hunting!

Hi i shot down there with headley park at 200 with my cz.223 hated it trigger was heavy so i decided to chop it against a Tikka T3 s/s varmint so for target it should be 100% better

for live quarry i will zero at 100m because i can 99% of the time get within 150m to our quarry so from 50-150 it is pretty much straight at it with 50grain Accu Tips

arcpest