Someone's poor racer didn't make it home

You can see why lads who race pigeons don't like birds of prey. But you've got to say peregrine falcons are a stunning looking birds. Be watching some live footage of a few pairs. And every nest site had racers rings in. A think the feral pigeons are clued up to the birds. 

20240512_145817.jpg

• Like 2

Was at a local church yesterday that has a pair on eggs at the minute, yet the area was absolutely crawling with racers ringed and not as well as woodies, They appeared not to care. 

13 hours ago, paulus said:

Was at a local church yesterday that has a pair on eggs at the minute, yet the area was absolutely crawling with racers ringed and not as well as woodies, They appeared not to care. 

Anyone who races birds would`nt want any of theirs back if it was mixing with wild or feral birds, no point having a homing pigeon if it won`t come directly home!

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, paulus said:

They don't they like to hit ones that are on the way home from a race lol. Or out exercising like a pal I know. He watches the peregrines throw the binoculars. And he says soon as any of lads let the youngens out to fly. The peregrine comes over. The allotments are bang next to the town centre. The peregrines have clocked onto it. A peregrine isn't going to go 80mph to hit a bird on concrete and may of the birds that are round the town centre are close to building & members of the public. So they fly out of town. They may get odd bird that's around their nest site. But many are killed away from the town. That's why it's many of the lads racers that get hit 

Edited by Bangersanmash
  • Like 1

Early last autumn i was fish a large lake and witness a young female peregrine that had obviously been forced out of its parents territory, It was hungry, On this big lake was a single black headed gull, bobbing about enjoying its day. The peregrine decided it wanted it, It went into a stoop, at the point it was about 10ft away and committed the gull lifted from the water flying just a couple of feet above the water, as the Peregrine pushed its legs forward to strike the gull folded its wings and crashed into the water, The splash hit the peregrine and forced it to pull off, I watched this happen time and time again, The Gull had obviously played this game before Lol.  

9 hours ago, neil82 said:

Anyone who races birds would`nt want any of theirs back if it was mixing with wild or feral birds, no point having a homing pigeon if it won`t come directly home!

Had one living on my bathroom windowsill for weeks the other year,  

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, paulus said:

Early last autumn i was fish a large lake and witness a young female peregrine that had obviously been forced out of its parents territory, It was hungry, On this big lake was a single black headed gull, bobbing about enjoying its day. The peregrine decided it wanted it, It went into a stoop, at the point it was about 10ft away and committed the gull lifted from the water flying just a couple of feet above the water, as the Peregrine pushed its legs forward to strike the gull folded its wings and crashed into the water, The splash hit the peregrine and forced it to pull off, I watched this happen time and time again, The Gull had obviously played this game before Lol.  

I've been told this by another chap that he was filming a young peregrine that came from a cathedral in Wakefield , headed over south Yorkshire way Rotherham on a reservoir. And Same again the water birds were diving under. Then the peregrines sat in the shallows of the water. He said the bird was learning its skills to take birds off the water. To which he got some amazing images & video clips of it. "  Was telling me the sibling to the bird got killed flying into some high rise flats just a stone throw away from where they were born. " 

Edited by Bangersanmash
1 hour ago, Bangersanmash said:

I've been told this by another chap that he was filming a young peregrine that came from a cathedral in Wakefield , headed over south Yorkshire way Rotherham on a reservoir. And Same again the water birds were diving under. Then the peregrines sat in the shallows of the water. He said the bird was learning its skills to take birds off the water. To which he got some amazing images & video clips of it. "  Was telling me the sibling to the bird got killed flying into some high rise flats just a stone throw away from where they were born. " 

On one occasion when it pulled off the gull it went up on an updraft and a crow appeared, it bound to the crow but soon decided to let go Lol