Took these down the allotment today to try some longer range shooting than I can do at home and found that I was a fair bit more accurate with one than the other . Both are 85mm forks and with the s robin I used 8mm steel and .60 snipersling green 20-15 and 9.5’s with .70 snipersling yellow 24-18 on the wasp . I put a few tins and a 25x35mm bit of wood up at about 20m and started with the s robin which I’ve been shooting pretty well at shorter distances at home but suddenly struggled at range with it and missed the tins a lot more than I should have and only managed the wood once but only missed the tins a couple of times and hit the wood a few times with the wasp before I lost it in the undergrowth . It’s been bugging me since I got home why it would be like that when they are both the same size and I used the top corner as the aiming point on both of them but was consistently more accurate with one and hit and miss with the other . 

IMG_1750.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

5 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

I do like them snipersling s robin frames. If they was 90mm I'd be tempted. Look a lovely catty. 

They are nice looking . You can get them custom made to any size , costs slightly more though . Wish I’d have ordered one in 95mm , been using a spitfire in that size and been doing a lot better with that . I’ve got an handmade one coming that’s based on an hedgerow goblet hunter . It’s been laminated in American walnut , purple heart , maple , pippy oak , padouk and something else I can’t remember, possibly zebrano . It’s finished but I’m not picking it up yet because he wants some photos with another one he’s doing for someone in Norway 

Edited by neil r
7 hours ago, neil r said:

They are nice looking . You can get them custom made to any size , costs slightly more though . Wish I’d have ordered one in 95mm , been using a spitfire in that size and been doing a lot better with that . I’ve got an handmade one coming that’s based on an hedgerow goblet hunter . It’s been laminated in American walnut , purple heart , maple , pippy oak , padouk and something else I can’t remember, possibly zebrano . It’s finished but I’m not picking it up yet because he wants some photos with another one he’s doing for someone in Norway 

Yeah I know they do custom. That's sounds nice , who,s making that for you ? Must admit thease John Jefferies frames are lovely ! I would to take a look at a Romany Custom Catapults frame. Love the customs, but maybe a bit too nice for hunting perhaps. I got a spitfire,  cracking budget frame. I've just ordered a sight for it for a fiver. 

Edited by Leo Sayer
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Leo Sayer said:

Yeah I know they do custom. That's sounds nice , who,s making that for you ? Must admit thease John Jefferies frames are lovely ! I would to take a look at a Romany Custom Catapults frame. Love the customs, but maybe a bit too nice for hunting perhaps. I got a spitfire,  cracking budget frame. I've just ordered a sight for it for a fiver. 

It’s a mate who’s making it for me , he did one before Christmas for another of his mates and now one for me and the guy in Norway as a gift . He’s not a catapult maker but I think he's making a couple more but they won’t be cheap because of the hours he puts into them . He normally makes handmade skateboard decks that are sought after all over the world by collectors and even pro skaters plus any other stuff from wood that takes his fancy , he’s properly talented , like one of them you see on the antique restoration programmes . 
I follow John Jefferies and Romany custom catapults on Facebook and Rcc on YouTube . They make some really nice stuff , not cheap but they look quality . 
I bought the spitfire and then decided to get the sight later aswell , I’m taking it down the allotment this morning for a bit of longer range practice . I’ve found using where the back edge of the sight meets the frame works best for my eyes . Got the castle clips on my wasp but they are redundant for me , I need to be on the top edge between the corner and the groove for the wrap . If I try using the top sight pin on the castle clip it just goes to the left 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, neil r said:

It’s a mate who’s making it for me , he did one before Christmas for another of his mates and now one for me and the guy in Norway as a gift . He’s not a catapult maker but I think he's making a couple more but they won’t be cheap because of the hours he puts into them . He normally makes handmade skateboard decks that are sought after all over the world by collectors and even pro skaters plus any other stuff from wood that takes his fancy , he’s properly talented , like one of them you see on the antique restoration programmes . 
I follow John Jefferies and Romany custom catapults on Facebook and Rcc on YouTube . They make some really nice stuff , not cheap but they look quality . 
I bought the spitfire and then decided to get the sight later aswell , I’m taking it down the allotment this morning for a bit of longer range practice . I’ve found using where the back edge of the sight meets the frame works best for my eyes . Got the castle clips on my wasp but they are redundant for me , I need to be on the top edge between the corner and the groove for the wrap . If I try using the top sight pin on the castle clip it just goes to the left 

I don't know how much Romany Customs sell for. But I got 2 John Jefferies frames cheap. I shoot left hand frame so kept the Apex but also have a matching right hand hold Mustang,  so mite sell that and put it towards a RC Raptor.  

Edited by Leo Sayer
  • Like 1

Just been down the pen with the spitfire and the sight . Shooting at the top of a broom handle at about 15m . Only had about 20 shots but hit it 9 or 10 times and the rest were just to the side 

IMG_1839.jpeg

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Good shooting that mate, I only ever shoot 10 yards or under in the field so to speak 

I know , surprised myself with that especially since I was trying some heavier bands out 

1 hour ago, neil r said:

I know , surprised myself with that especially since I was trying some heavier bands out 

Stick with that set up if I were you 👍

Years ago I made a range in back garden by hanging an old blanket over kids football goal a few cans on wood sticking out ground. I found the quicker I took the shot the more successful i became at hitting things it works for me sometimes 😆 🤣 

• Like 2
On 07/01/2024 at 17:47, neil r said:

Took these down the allotment today to try some longer range shooting than I can do at home and found that I was a fair bit more accurate with one than the other . Both are 85mm forks and with the s robin I used 8mm steel and .60 snipersling green 20-15 and 9.5’s with .70 snipersling yellow 24-18 on the wasp . I put a few tins and a 25x35mm bit of wood up at about 20m and started with the s robin which I’ve been shooting pretty well at shorter distances at home but suddenly struggled at range with it and missed the tins a lot more than I should have and only managed the wood once but only missed the tins a couple of times and hit the wood a few times with the wasp before I lost it in the undergrowth . It’s been bugging me since I got home why it would be like that when they are both the same size and I used the top corner as the aiming point on both of them but was consistently more accurate with one and hit and miss with the other . 

IMG_1750.jpeg

Might be an idea to put a sheet of white paper behind the target, sometimes you may be grouping slightly left,right high or low but if you don’t know were your missing it’s harder to rectify , could just be a case of moving your aim point a tad or your anchor point on one of the frames 

• Like 3