Floating Barrel

Morning all,

Had to check my rifle this week, problem hitting anything aswell as I should :hmm: . Stripped the moderator down, took the stock off, checked the scope was on tight everything sound. Put the stock back on and did the paper along the floating barrel trick and it stopped 1½ inches from the end of the stock :o .

Has any body had this problem with their rifle before? The one I shoot is a .22 anschutz 1415 carbine, had it from new for 9 years now I know there is no damage but it seems to have swelled a little.

cheers, camgun!

Morning all,

Had to check my rifle this week, problem hitting anything aswell as I should :hmm: . Stripped the moderator down, took the stock off, checked the scope was on tight everything sound. Put the stock back on and did the paper along the floating barrel trick and it stopped 1½ inches from the end of the stock :o .

Has any body had this problem with their rifle before? The one I shoot is a .22 anschutz 1415 carbine, had it from new for 9 years now I know there is no damage but it seems to have swelled a little.

cheers, camgun!

This can happen in any gun, wood is a natural product and whatever you do with it, sometimes it will twist, bend or swell, especially if exposed to extreme conditions. Many people have to do a little "easing" but if you are in any doubt about your ability take it to a gunsmith. Lets hope the problem is not actually a bent barrel!

Edited by Deker

It hasnt been dropped or stored it in any different conditions that could have changed the barrel, I usually wipe the rifle down everytime I have been out. I was out last Tuesday and checked the rifle at a couple of targets, it was slighty high but I was quite close. Later that night I popped out with the lamp and shot 11 rabbits, I have shot with a .22 rimfire for 18 years and I know when I should be taking their eyes out but I was hitting them in neck, shoulder ears and nose :cry: plus the weather had been damp so I hope it was the stock.

Tried all that as well, went over my tracks 2 or 3 times as you do to make sure :hmm: . Called a mate of mine that owns a cz varmint, when he bought it the first thing he done was the paper test and it was very tight so he eased it with a light grade sand paper and that gave it the space around the barrel. When I bought the Anschutz it had a leaflet slid up between the barrel and stock, I have checked it from time to time and it seemed fine but this time it wouldnt pass the end. I will try and ease it myself this week, cant go out till its done :no: . Cheers for the replies :thumbs: .

camgun

Morning all,

cheers, camgun!

just sand abit out where its touching mate. dont forget to coat it and let it dry before putting back in stock.

as you dont want any of the wood exposed once you have finely sanded away where its touching :thumbs:

CAMGUN.

WITH A WOODEN STOCK YOU WANT 3 SHEETS OF PAPER TO CLEAR THE STOCK AND BARREL

IN SUMMER WHEN THE WEATHER IS WARMER YOU WONT GET THE PROBLEM WITH 1 SHEET BUT IN WINTER THIS IS WHEN MOST PROBLEMS WITH WOOD STOCKS OCCUR.

TO OVERCOME THIS PROBLEM SAND IT DOWN FOR 3 SHEETS OF PAPER.WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK IN THE STOCK TORQUE THE SCREWS TO THE CORRECT PRESSURE DONT HAVE ONE TIGHT AND ONE LOOSE OR YOU WILL GET ERRATIC RESULTS.

AS JAMIEG MENTIONED CLEAR COAT IT FIRST.

GARYW :clapper:

Guest bruno527

as above.

get it well clear of the barrel 'float it' use a round dowel & sandpaper rapped around it,& scrub it out all the way to the receiver, check its well clear (3 sheets 0r .025" cig box paper ) them varnish it...it shouldn't swell agin..

:thumbs:

Had a go at the stock last night, found that the stock had a change of grain at the very end where the problem was, after taking off the layer of finish the grain changed color. There was a tear drop shape mark in the stock that ran through the wood an inch long to the end. I tried the paper in the gap before sanding and it past through but was very tight, once I eased it with the sand paper (240 grade) I tried it again, it still nipped it about 1cm from the end slightly left of the stock. So off with the stock and had another go. Finally I had taken enough off for it to pass and put a few coats of finish to cover the eased part. Checked it this morning and it had dried well. Fingers crossed it should have worked, I will check the rifle at the weekend to see if its shooting straight.

THIS FLOATING THE BARREL THING DOES MAKE A DIFERANCE BUT ITS ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT..MY 17HMR IS DOING A 2 INCH GROUP AT 190 YARDS AND THE STOCK WAS TOUCHING TIGHT UP MOST OF THE BARREL...IV JUST SANDED MINE TONIGHT BECAUSE I WAS BORED WILL SEE HOW MUCH DIFFERANCE IT MAKES BUT I WAS HAPPY WITH IT BEFORE..IN THE PAST ITS THE FIRST THING I WOULD DO WITH A NEW CZ..I GUESS IV GOT LAZY....

Finally got out saturday to check the rifles, my mate and I took our .22s and .17hmrs to his permission and put some targets up. I fired 8 shots at 50 yard with the anschutz and was up and right by 1 inch, gave it a tweek and seemed to be spot on . My mate had a go to see if it was true and he grouped in a 10 pence size pattern at 60 yards so I was happy, just hope thats the end of the saga. Then we tried the .17hmrs, mine was low and 2 inches wide on the right so I was pissed off, tweeked that and it was spot on. My mate tried his and was off the center by an inch so he pulled it in and had a go again. His first shoot was 5mm from the bull on the right, the second was 5mm from the bull on the left, the third didnt leave the barrel. We thought misfire, he opened the bolt and ejected the round, when I looked at the case the tip had gone but the case was full of powder. He took the bolt out and the tip was lodged just past the chamber :thumbdown: , the case had a spilt down the neck. No a very good afternoon after all so we packed up the .17s and had a drive round with the .22s. Got a squirrel, a pigeon, a rook and my mate had a rabbit :gunsmilie: . When he got home he put the rods with the mop down the barrel and out popped the tip, no harm done hopefully. He is going out next weekend to check the .17hmr to make sure its ok. Just like to thank you for the advice and tips you members gave me :notworthy: , I have had .22s for 18 years but thought I was going crazy when I couldnt hit a cows ass with a shovel :wallbash: had an op on my shoulder last May but dont think that had anything to do with it( had 30 rabbits out of 35 shots the first time I went out after 4 months of physio) . Now I have faith in myself again Im alot happier :thumbs: . Cheers, camgun