Collars on running dogs ?

Guest ADAM AND HIS DOGS

THE THOUGHT WAS SPARKED BY A MATE OF MINE WHO WONT RUN WITH COLLARS SINCE HE SEEN A MATES LURCHER SNAG ON THE BOTTOM STRAND OF A BARB WIRE FENCE AND BREAK ITS NECK AND WAS KILLED INSTANTLY. WOULD BE ALOT OF WORK GONE AND ITS TREACHEROUS ENOUGH FOR A LURCHER.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE THOUGHT WAS SPARKED BY A MATE OF MINE WHO WONT RUN WITH COLLARS SINCE HE SEEN A MATES LURCHER SNAG ON THE BOTTOM STRAND OF A BARB WIRE FENCE AND BREAK ITS NECK AND WAS KILLED INSTANTLY. WOULD BE ALOT OF WORK GONE AND ITS TREACHEROUS ENOUGH FOR A LURCHER.

That would have to be one unlucky lurcher,...my condolences to your mate.... :(

Used to run a team of seven dogs,..most nights of the week,..two weeks on and two weeks off,...some wore collars and some worked free,...never experienced any snags or hitches from the collar wearers :)

It COULD happen,..the choice is with the owner.... ;)

Guest ADAM AND HIS DOGS

I HAVE OWNWD COUPLE OF FOXING LURCHERS AND SEEN A RIGHT FEW OTHERS WORK. NEVER SEEN A NECK INJURY FROM A FOX

THE REASON I AM ASKING IS I LIKE TO GO OUT ON MY OWN FROM TIME TO TIME. I WILL BE STARTING MY PUP OFF DOUBLE UP WITH MY BITCH AND THEN ONCE HE HAS THE HANG OF IT WILL BE SLIPPPING THEM TURN ABOUT. I WAS PLANNING ON PUTTING THE COLLARS ON THEM AND MAKING A DOUBLE SLIP ROPE WITH ONE END LOOPED AND FIXED TO MY WRIST AND THE THE TWO ENDS GOING THROUGH THE COLLARS AND I COULD SLIP BOTH OR JUST ONE BY RELEASING EITHER SLIP. IN THE PAST THE LAST TWO LURCHERS I BROUGHT ON I HAD TRAINED TO LAMP OF THE LEAD TO HEEL AND JUST ROTATED THEM FROM THE FULL LEAD ONE ON ONE OFF.I BOUGHT MY LATEST BITCH WHEN SHE WAS TWO AND IT HAS BCOME CLEAR SHE HAD LITTLE TRAINING. I WOULD HATE TO SEE TEN MONTHS OF WORK WIPED OUT AS MY BULL CROSS PUP HAS YET TO STOP ON ANYTHING.

mine run without a slip but they still have a collar on, and there is always some rope or a lead in my pocket, just in case you encounter some danger.. ie road, rail line ,demestic pet( cat or dog) , pheasants near a pen or deer you dont want to run . so in my opinion its best to have a collar no matter how obediant you dog is.

I'm with tomo run him from heel but have a collar on just in case

Shot a fox the but only got a spine shot and it was moving at a rate but its back legs were down didn't want it to go off injured so in went my dog on the first fox he'd seen. he got bit on the collar and the fox let go quick then got his nose but i doubt it would of let go of his neck without collar!!

So always with a collar

The other thing is if he tried to go under a fence he'd get cut in half, so its up and over where a collar is not a prob

Guest Nightwalker

I have twice had dogs caught up on wire in the daytime by the collar. I try to run mine without a collar because of this but inevitably have to use a collar when running them off a slip but otherwise mine never wear collar other than while being walked along the roads

Edited by Nightwalker

reading this it seems most of the lads running dogs with collars on are using them for the red fellas .from a day time coursing point of view i prefer to run my dogs from a good quality slip lead mine have a very simple but efective locking mecanism which stop the dog being slipped accidentaly and i use the same leads when out lamping but everyone has there own methods of running there dogs and its whatever you and your dogs are happy with

How many time do dogs actually get caught, fatally or not, just from wearing a collar? Unless their collar was hanging like a madallion around there neck :shok::nono: . I always run mine with collars on, never had a problem! YES, it could happen, that would be unforutnate, but highly unlikely to happen! I even know of a man that decided to stop letting his dog wear a collar whilst running (daytime) after hearing of a friends dog that got snagged on a branch, the first time the fella took his dog out without a collar on it jumped over a small hedge in hot persuit of a hare, only to land on a peice of farm machinery in the corner of the adjacent field and die! :o Unfortunate accident, but how likely to happen again in the mans lifetime?

So, for me I don't think it is a BIG risk running a dog with a collar on, if it did happen as i've said I would take it as an unfortunate accident, mine need collars on (has anyone tried to sqeek a fox in whilst restraining their psycho dog with only a slip??) plus it gives big red something to grip :ph34r: but there are plenty of other risks you will come across whilst running your dogs day or night, but how likely are they to happen?

This is only my opinion based on my own/other people's experience's, it's entirely each to ther own!

Danny

Edited by Nell

I use a piece of rope threaded under the collar as a slip ,less chance of accidental slips than with those made for the job coursing types.......have had dogs killed on roads,by hitting machinary or posts have had them smash legs and shoulers......but never had a problem with collars.

My dad found out that i run my dogs with collars on and he had a right go at me :realmad: so now iv got to get a slip. I dont like the look of the quick release leads so iv decided to go for a coursing slip. Where can i get one from?

Good hunting

David

Coursing slips are bloody annoying for lamping, ok on big open ground, but once you have a few fences to climb, the things become annoying, and oftern go off just at the point you dont want them too.