Thinking of buying a pet ferret for a rat problem?

I have a small croft and have a periodic rat and mouse problem in my attic. I know the solution is finding out where they are getting in, but thats proving very difficult with a 200 year old stone cottage. I can catch mice all day long, but the rats seem to be a lot more intelligent and won’t go near the traps. I absolutely refuse to put poison down.

Correct me if this is a crazy idea, but I was thinking about getting a ferret and letting it live in the attic. Is this a bad idea? How trainable are they, would they bite through cables and cause similar damage to rats?

Also anyone know anything about rat behaviour. Would the ferret have to hunt down every single rat, or would a ferret picking off a few rats be enough for the rest of the rats to bugger off? Would the smell of a ferret be enough to deter future rats from coming into the attic, or am I always likely to have a problem unless I can find out where they are getting in?

I did think about getting a ratting dog or a cat, but I don’t think they would be much use up there, as they seem to be hiding under the floor boards and there is no way a cat or dog could get under there.

Ferret  won't chew cables, don't  have  incisors  that are  constantly  growing  like rodents  have, but  keeping one lose in your attic ,not a good idea  ,Ferret s are proper  escape  artists  and  will  find a way  out  ,but you  could  let one roam about  up there with  a collar  an a leash keeping  your  eye on him smell would  soon put rats of and Ferret  would indicate  where  rats are getting  in , all the  best