Chilling out, practicing with the springers.Early MK2 HW77 long .177 and the brand new, shiny HW95KL .177.

15 hours ago, .357shooter said:

cheers,i have tried everything and even the way you suggest but that is no good either.with my hw 95k today i managed some better groups with a gentle grip on the forend.my tx now though is starting to improve a lot now i have the big q tech i think silencer on it.just out of practice and i can now not shoot them for shit standing also.

I tried three different hw95. The first 2 over several years were dreadful to shoot huge groups then a good one then off again. Years went buy and I tried another and from the first shot it was fine as accurate as any gun I own. The only difference I could think of was my technique had changed over the years or It was fitted with a Vortek kit when i acquired the gun. Notorious gun as is the 98. Get a 77 or 97 or 99

On 07/09/2023 at 11:26, philpot said:

Very nice Pete, love the diopter sights. I used them on my old Air Arms 200T for bell target shooting and loved them but not so easy to set up in my humble opinion but I am sure that was just me being an idiot. Lovely guns as well, just sold my HW35 as I never used it but when I look at yours with the diopter sight, I wish I had gone that route and used it for target work.........................oh well, a good reason to keep an eye open for something else.

Phil

Why not look for a beat up old 77 LONG BARREL. Then a williams peep sight similar to a diopter. You can use the front post fore sight or pick up a hw80 globe front sight. Then just test the water and see if you like it. Due to lack of space this is what got me to try open sight shooting, and it is fascinating totally absorbing. Sometime after a break and shooting scope for a while, as now actually. I take the 77 into the garden look downrange at the 20 yard backstop and how small the bulls look with no magnification and think no way, but in they go and no matter what the conditions I never fail to hit the black. Just try it but remember the longer the sight base the better. I bought a new 99 to use for opens. Tricked it out like the 77 and it was fine. But never as good as the 77. It was very good though. 

9A5D9138-0108-43EB-BB45-84928546F8A7.jpeg

3 minutes ago, TelephonePete said:

I tried three different hw95. The first 2 over several years were dreadful to shoot huge groups then a good one then off again. Years went buy and I tried another and from the first shot it was fine as accurate as any gun I own. The only difference I could think of was my technique had changed over the years or It was fitted with a Vortek kit when i acquired the gun. Notorious gun as is the 98. Get a 77 or 97 or 99

Why not look for a beat up old 77 LONG BARREL. Then a williams peep sight similar to a diopter. You can use the front post fore sight or pick up a hw80 globe front sight. Then just test the water and see if you like it. Due to lack of space this is what got me to try open sight shooting, and it is fascinating totally absorbing. Sometime after a break and shooting scope for a while, as now actually. I take the 77 into the garden look downrange at the 20 yard backstop and how small the bulls look with no magnification and think no way, but in they go and no matter what the conditions I never fail to hit the black. Just try it but remember the longer the sight base the better. I bought a new 99 to use for opens. Tricked it out like the 77 and it was fine. But never as good as the 77. It was very good though. 

9A5D9138-0108-43EB-BB45-84928546F8A7.jpeg

07FB7A88-69B3-4298-9746-A92BC64D9388.jpeg

Interesting thought Pete and one I may do at a later date. As I get older I find the longer gun to be too heavy, not the case with my shotguns but moving targets are a different situation neverthelss it would be worth borrowing a few guns from the rfd, fitting diopter sights and see how we go.

Phil