Pick of Litter

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the main things you look for in a pup, size, bone, head, boldness, colour, coat, type of temprement etc.

How do you pick yours?

I HAD THE PICK OF THE LITTER SIX MONTHS AGO 1/4 1/4 GRY 1/2 WHIPPET SIRE BULL WHIPPET DAME WHIPPET HOUND!!I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO NO THE CHAP THAT BRED THE PUPS I HAD SOME TIME TO WAY UP MY OPTIONS AS HE WENT ON HOLS FOR AWEEK SUNING THE BALLS OFF HIM SELF!! MID WEEK PUPS STARTED TO FIND THERE FEET SO I PICKED THE FIRST BITCH THAT WAS ABALE TO GET OUT OF THE BOX SHE HAD THE LOOK OF FATHER THE NICE BULL HEAD SPIT OUT OF HER DADS MOUTH SAME MARKINGS WITCH I WAS LOOKING FOR SIRE TYPE THE BITCH HAD 4 DOGS TWO BITCHS AND WHEN I PUT DOWN FOOD THERE WHERE NO WAY SHE WAS GETTING PUSHED OFF THE GRUB!!BASICLY PICK THE STRONG AND THE LOOK OF SIRE OR DAME WITCH DO U WANT THE DOG TO TURN OUT LIKE!!AND THEN PICK THE OTHER ONE HAHA!! :D:laugh: BEST OF LUCK WITH IT

as far as running dogs go i would be looking for length in the back and tight feet, if its a bully cross then its pop~eyes and a decent scope. obviously there are a good few things to check for regarding health and condition, but i think most of the time you tend to get drawn toward one particular pup even before you start to look to deep.

Quite right Mush, but if you had pick of litter you must have some thing that you will look for. I know its a bit of a lottery but you need to increase your chances.

with pure breds I like line bred or inbred dogs so their all mostly the same for looks, temperament, height est. And the same goes for lurchers but I don't like to many crosses and no whippet in them as it brings down the size and you never no how big it will make. If i seen one in a litter that had a fault , was say shy for no good reason I wouldn't have one off that litter .

the Sire the middle one and all the rest of the litter are the same all good coursing dogs and not much differences between them, most of them have beaten each other at one time or anther.

saluqi2.jpg

that pup looks ready for action :yes:

He's incredibly bright, but as for ready for action, he's got alot of physical maturing to do before that!

sorry mate I only ment "looks" . I should really sort out my wording :doh:

Lovely pup though.

LOL got a habbit of doin that Lee :whistling:

Hi Tis TM, as for being picked by your dog as oppossed to the other way round, I had the same thing happen with my oldest kelpie. There were three pups left in the litter and when the shepherd opened up their run, two of them bolted straight round the corner to a small paddock beside the house whereas Rust shot straight out to me, put his front paws on my knees and wagged his tail like mad as if to say, "Hi! I'm coming home with you."

What are the main things you look for in a pup, size, bone, head, boldness, colour, coat, type of temprement etc.

How do you pick yours?

Alright mate, had a few litters now and I think it is impossible to choose one. I think you have to wait til they are 9/10 months old to be really sure as they are still developing aren't they.

Apparently one of the fastest racing greyhounds ever was originally the runt of the litter that nobody wanted and ended being the fastest over 1000 yards or something- bit like ballyragan bob

my beddie whippet grey, was the runt of the litter. the first few rabbits she saw she just watched them hop past and then would just walk off ignoring them. i just give her more time and put a lot of work in and now shes great.

what you put in you get out.

however, when a next get a new lurcher i will definately get a bouncer one.

How do you pick yours?

Alright mate, had a few litters now and I think it is impossible to choose one. I think you have to wait til they are 9/10 months old to be really sure as they are still developing aren't they.

Apparently one of the fastest racing greyhounds ever was originally the runt of the litter that nobody wanted and ended being the fastest over 1000 yards or something- bit like ballyragan bob

same as master magrth born an bred in dungarvan co waterford best coursing dog ever won waterloo 3 times 56 pounds in weight the queens dog!! nearly have the weight of normal courseing hound just dont know how they turn out have to b lucky

that pup looks ready for action :yes:

He's incredibly bright, but as for ready for action, he's got alot of physical maturing to do before that!

sorry mate I only ment "looks" . I should really sort out my wording :doh:

Lovely pup though.

LOL got a habbit of doin that Lee :whistling:

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

Non Ped Whippet Stag Camp

I picked a pup five weeks ago at just over a week old. three weeks later I phoned to ask how the pup was progressing and the man said I think she is going to be to big for me, so I thought oh well I'll see. Two days before I went to get get the pup I asked for a veiwing (so I could see the pups eat and watch them a while) and again I asked how my pick was doing and his reply was "erm" "I like to keep that pup myself" so I said "I'll still come and have a look at the others". So when I got there and see the pups my pick still shone. After about an hour at the veiwing the man said "you do still really want her don't you" and I said "yes and my six year old has picked a couple of names" he came out with "make me an offer" and I made him an offer then he said "being as you said that you can have her at the original price" What a sound bloke, although he nearly fecked me off with my pick.

He also said "sorry, but I breed to produce racing dogs for myself not for the money" and "he really liked my choice".

Needless to say we both picked the pick of the litter. Strong back, good bone and leg, nice head and well bold. Job done :thumbs:

Edited by leegreen
Non Ped Whippet Stag Camp

I picked a pup five weeks ago at just over a week old. three weeks later I phoned to ask how the pup was progressing and the man said I think she is going to be to big for me, so I thought oh well I'll see. Two days before I went to get get the pup I asked for a veiwing (so I could see the pups eat and watch them a while) and again I asked how my pick was doing and his reply was "erm" "I like to keep that pup myself" so I said "I'll still come and have a look at the others". So when I got there and see the pups my pick still shone. After about an hour at the veiwing the man said "you do still really want her don't you" and I said "yes and my six year old has picked a couple of names" he came out with "make me an offer" and I made him an offer then he said "being as you said that you can have her at the original price" What a sound bloke, although he nearly fecked me off with my pick.

He also said "sorry, but I breed to produce racing dogs for myself not for the money" and "he really liked my choice".

Needless to say we both picked the pick of the litter. Strong back, good bone and leg, nice head and well bold. Job done :thumbs:

have you ever heard of bitches pick
Guest markbrick1
Quite right Mush, but if you had pick of litter you must have some thing that you will look for. I know its a bit of a lottery but you need to increase your chances.

with pure breds I like line bred or inbred dogs so their all mostly the same for looks, temperament, height est. And the same goes for lurchers but I don't like to many crosses and no whippet in them as it brings down the size and you never no how big it will make. If i seen one in a litter that had a fault , was say shy for no good reason I wouldn't have one off that litter .

the Sire the middle one and all the rest of the litter are the same all good coursing dogs and not much differences between them, most of them have beaten each other at one time or anther.

saluqi2.jpg

you know thats the best i seen you looking for a long time :clapper::clapper::clapper: mark