Jumping

My dog is 10 months old now he's slow coming on compared to other dogs i've had. when he jumps he tends to jump on top of the gate or what either he's jumping and push off with his back legs instead of a clear straight over jump. Do you think he will get out of this and does it really matter if he don't ?

Cheers.

post-2462-1201769321_thumb.jpg

i have a 12 month old dog that uses the same method when jumping but it has never made a difference to me or him mate just how ever he feels safe to jump . But can be annoying on a nights lamping when the back legs knock the gate and make a hell of a racket but appart from that mate there is no worrys ferretuk

What breed is he,

It sounds like something a sheep dog would do,

Iv had sheep dogs do it quiet a lot.

I wouldnt worry about it,

The main concerns are if his leg doesnt quit get over the top rail, and gets caught in there,

And as the other bloke said, making a racket, when out at night,

Bruny.

What breed is he,

It sounds like something a sheep dog would do,

Iv had sheep dogs do it quiet a lot.

I wouldnt worry about it,

The main concerns are if his leg doesnt quit get over the top rail, and gets caught in there,

And as the other bloke said, making a racket, when out at night,

Bruny.

Dam collie x greyhound x whippet

Sire Bedlington

hello mate,my thoughts on a dog jumping have changed over time all mine can and do jump and always were encouraged too untill one had an injury to his wrist... it was a real blow my best lamper is now only fit for daytime ferreting :( and light work now im always keen to look for other routes through hedges under gates etc.. not meaning to put you off its ussfull for a dog to jump and injurys can come with the teritory but caution be sure of your ground conditons.. cheers

hello mate,my thoughts on a dog jumping have changed over time all mine can and do jump and always were encouraged too untill one had an injury to his wrist... it was a real blow my best lamper is now only fit for daytime ferreting :( and light work now im always keen to look for other routes through hedges under gates etc.. not meaning to put you off its ussfull for a dog to jump and injurys can come with the teritory but caution be sure of your ground conditons.. cheers

Very good point: jumping can lead to serious injuries. Have a look on Bambibasher's thread on lurchers jumping.

I always encourage my dogs to jump, as it easier than lifting them over fences and gates etc. Also, when out lamping often rabbits are spotted sitting out in the field the otherside of the fence. So all it takes is the dog to jump over the fence and then jump back. As to the dog pushing off the top rail with its back feet, it'll learn what a top strand of wire or barbed wire is like, and just leap over to avoid it. Saying that, I was out one day why my dog was a pup and he got his leg caught in some sheep fencing whilst trying to push through, never have I heard a dog yelp so much, hence I like to take a pair of wire cutters out in drystone wall country

Very good point: jumping can lead to serious injuries. Have a look on Bambibasher's thread on lurchers jumping.

been looking for Bambibasher's thread but had no luck finding it.

hi all iv a beddei x that will jump sheep fencing and barbed wire but a bit relluctent when it comes to gates

my last dog was a beddy x whippet & she was excellent jumper, i think its true what Bruny said about the collie coming out don't think its the beddy.

My dogs just over two years old and he's only just started to master the fine art of jumping. At first he wouldnt jump anything out in the fields but he found it all to easy to jump five foot onto the garage at home, think it had something to do with jumping on rather than over. I kept plugging away at him just givin him encouragement at every oppurtunity which has finally paid off. He'll still try to find a quick way under though which i dont mind as i had a bitch a few years back which loved jumping but unfortunately skinned her leg and needed over 50 stiches, so im always on edge about it happening again.

My dogs just over two years old and he's only just started to master the fine art of jumping. At first he wouldnt jump anything out in the fields but he found it all to easy to jump five foot onto the garage at home, think it had something to do with jumping on rather than over. I kept plugging away at him just givin him encouragement at every oppurtunity which has finally paid off. He'll still try to find a quick way under though which i dont mind as i had a bitch a few years back which loved jumping but unfortunately skinned her leg and needed over 50 stiches, so im always on edge about it happening again.