Oak tanning overkill.

A while back l oak tanned a bit of deer skin  and made a passable knife sheath . My latest effort wasn't  quite as successful.

What was supposed to be a soft leather pouch has ended up as a hard leather pot . 

I must've  over estimated the time it  needed to soak  in one or all of the tanning baths .

I boobed basically  but kid myself that it's "All part of the learning curve ", rather than a stupid mistake .

And I guess having a ram's scrotum on the mantlepiece could be a good conversation starter !?

20230401_071744.jpg.7ae508a4f0c92fabec8e03e1dff31b77.jpg 

20230401_071822.jpg

Edited by comanche
  • Haha 1

On 01/04/2023 at 18:05, comanche said:

A while back l oak tanned a bit of deer skin  and made a passable knife sheath . My latest effort wasn't  quite as successful.

What was supposed to be a soft leather pouch has ended up as a hard leather pot . 

I must've  over estimated the time it  needed to soak  in one or all of the tanning baths .

I boobed basically  but kid myself that it's "All part of the learning curve ", rather than a stupid mistake .

And I guess having a ram's scrotum on the mantlepiece could be a good conversation starter !?

20230401_071744.jpg.7ae508a4f0c92fabec8e03e1dff31b77.jpg 

20230401_071822.jpg

Or Bear Grill's christening mug? I'm trying to think a use for it because it's sort of a good thing.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Or Bear Grill's christening mug? I'm trying to think a use for it because it's sort of a good thing.

I know; although it went wrong is a " sort of good thing".

It is totally waterproof too!

I know that because l tried soften it in water and it just sat there like is was waiting for me to stick a few flowers in it. ?

• Haha 1