Wanting a good saw to fell small trees n cut logs don't want to spend a fortune but want some thing that will last , is it worth buying a second hand one or new ? Was looking at a sthil in the farm shop but my mate sed its only an entry model? 

We used to use husqvarna and jonsered  for felling it was rare to see a stihl in the woods. But that was over twenty years ago and times have changed. Stilhl are renown for quality but pricey as I recall. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, terryd said:

Is a chain saw cert guided by the length of your bar now a days  ? Used to use a 13 inch on a whopper of a saw so it went like stink. More prone to splitting your bar though 

The first cert involving felling covers trees up to 380mm, but there's all kinds being offered now regarding fast track courses, could get very expensive very quickly going through the training

• Like 1
1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

The first cert involving felling covers trees up to 380mm, but there's all kinds being offered now regarding fast track courses, could get very expensive very quickly going through the training

Good old red tape. Glad I missed all that and for the most part not worth the paper its written on. I remember the boss sticking us on a one day course because he new certificates were going to come in the future. Think the guy dragged it out for day on how to sharpen your saw and all that. Some safety stuff and then felling some tiny norway for an hour. I had been felling trees for about 12 years by then as had most of us. Dread to think what its like now. No more hurtling down mountains on the bonnet of a county with airfilter stopping you going over the front and pile trees pushing it down slope and hoping the driver knows what his doing 

• Like 2

4 day one I did was in a class room 2 days and 2 days in the woods they a 30 minute assessment thing had to get a tree snaged on purpose n show how to get it down safe etc had to do 3 different fell cuts I can only remember 2 ,,

9 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

4 day one I did was in a class room 2 days and 2 days in the woods they a 30 minute assessment thing had to get a tree snaged on purpose n show how to get it down safe etc had to do 3 different fell cuts I can only remember 2 ,,

Well in fairness that does actually sound useful lol

2 hours ago, terryd said:

Good old red tape. Glad I missed all that and for the most part not worth the paper its written on. I remember the boss sticking us on a one day course because he new certificates were going to come in the future. Think the guy dragged it out for day on how to sharpen your saw and all that. Some safety stuff and then felling some tiny norway for an hour. I had been felling trees for about 12 years by then as had most of us. Dread to think what its like now. No more hurtling down mountains on the bonnet of a county with airfilter stopping you going over the front and pile trees pushing it down slope and hoping the driver knows what his doing 

I was talking to a tree surgeon recently, he said I would have to go and do one of the tickets before I done any work with him just so I'd be covered by his insurance, I've been felling trees (Sitka Spruce, and Larch) up to about 500mm for the last few years, but I reckon it would be a good idea to get some training, you always learn something, and possibly make a new contact or two

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

I was talking to a tree surgeon recently, he said I would have to go and do one of the tickets before I done any work with him just so I'd be covered by his insurance, I've been felling trees (Sitka Spruce, and Larch) up to about 500mm for the last few years, but I reckon it would be a good idea to get some training, you always learn something, and possibly make a new contact or two

Makes a lot of sense good luck with it all :)

• Thanks 1