I wonder if anybody has tried dry hopping?

For those who don't know it's when you put raw hops in the beer often in a net bag after fermentation is finished, normally in the pressure barrel. I found the beer i made before was a bit one dimensional in flavour, so it could do with something a little extra.

Ditch, what firms make the malt extract in the larger quantities, i've never come across it?

Shepp :drink:

Does anyone brew there own ale? I wouldnt mind giving it ago, how hard is it?

And is it hard to get a decent tasting beer after?

H&J :thumbs:

Used to do the mashing sparging thing, I'd two boilers, a plastic one like Ditches, mines a Bruheat, A stainless steel one, three fermenters, and 5 secondary fermenters. I also had three pressure barrels, and dozens of bottles. The beer was beautiful, but the wife wanted the living room back. It used to be a Friday night Saturday morning thing. I'd do the mash and sparge on the Friday night, then the boil on the Saturday morning. I assure you it's possible to brew beers to rival real ales never mind the dish water sold in the pubs these days.

One brew which is very near impossible to copy exactly is Guiness. Aparently in the 18th century, the Guiness brewery in Dublin had a massive vat of beer go off, ie vinegary. Rather than waste it, they decided to pasteurise it and add small amounts to the subsequent brews to get rid of it without losing money. The slightly sharp afternote it left became an accepted part of the complex guiness after taste. Producing this "off" beer accurately and pasteurising it, puts it beyond the scope of amateurs. It is however possible to brew a very acceptable nay excellent dry Irish stout, though not quite Guiness. :drink:

For those who don't know it's when you put raw hops in the beer often in a net bag after fermentation is finished, normally in the pressure barrel. I found the beer i made before was a bit one dimensional in flavour, so it could do with something a little extra.

Ditch, what firms make the malt extract in the larger quantities, i've never come across it?

Get in touch with Hop & Grape Darlington. They do a second to none mail order service.

• 2 weeks later...

Get in touch with Hop & Grape Darlington. They do a second to none mail order service.

I got in touch with them and a starter kit is on it's way plus hops for dry hopping.

There's a lot of new ideas and choices in beers in the home brew market compared to a few years ago.

Cheers

Shepp :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

I been doing it for bout 18 month and its easy to do the 40pint tins. But I bottle mine and keeping all the bottles and cleaning them before filling can be a right ball ache. I've only done bitter but its nice enough, dunno bout the lagers. Its personal preference i suppose :drink: :drink:

One brew which is very near impossible to copy exactly is Guiness. Aparently in the 18th century, the Guiness brewery in Dublin had a massive vat of beer go off, ie vinegary. Rather than waste it, they decided to pasteurise it and add small amounts to the subsequent brews to get rid of it without losing money. The slightly sharp afternote it left became an accepted part of the complex guiness after taste. Producing this "off" beer accurately and pasteurising it, puts it beyond the scope of amateurs. It is however possible to brew a very acceptable nay excellent dry Irish stout, though not quite Guiness.

The stuff tastes pretty off to me :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

me thinks im gonna have to look into this beer/lager homebrew caper bit deeper.

been making my own flavoured spirits for couple o years ...well not really my own just flavouring a bought cheap bottle of whatever....voddy gin brandy etcc

big plastic sweety jar form local sweet shop

2lbs of fruit any fruit at all

9oz of castor sugar

1liter bottle of what you want

1 prick the skins of the fruit or cut in half if bigger like strawberrys or whatever....must do this !!!!!!

2 put into jar

3 add sugar

4 add liter of tescosor asdas own brand spirit

5 put on lid and seal with tape of some kind to make air tite

6 put into dark kitchen cupboard or the like take out daily for first 2 weeks and shake ...after 2 weeks sugar will have dissolved

7 take out every weekish and shake

8 leave for minimum 3 or 4 months then sieve into bottle voila!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can take mush fruit and blend it into a sauce and pour over a nice icecream just dinnae drive after dessert!!!!! :icon_eek:

plum brandy is ace

strawberry and kiwi fruit vodka

sloe gin

you can do anything!!!

wife loves it better than bought stuff and is really nice on a good day at a barbacue and the like

mix with tonic lemonade or even fruit flavoured waters fae supermarket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

superb

sauer