bleeding tail

hows it going i have a springer bitch with an undocked tail it bleeds constantly is there any type of protector i can get for this thanks

i can see this kind of injury happening more and more. People are struggling to find vets prepared to dock tails now, even when it can be proved that the pups are going as working dogs.

Somebody i have heard of binds theirs up with a bandage, from top to tip. Seems to do the trick, no injuries as yet.

Had the problem with other types and apart from being bloody annoying, it makes such a mess. I always found that taping a bandage tube over the end - protruding a little and left open, helps. Not left on, tail will rot, just put on at times of most risk, usually in kennel. Not sure it would work on Springer, but worth a go. As stated previously docking is the answer, but more of an issue with adult dogs. Hope you manage to sort it.

take it to a vet and get it docked, like they should be....bleeding tails will just keep getting split open and never really heal.

I totally aree with this, the dog should be docked, but if you can take pictures of the tail when it i damaged that way it adds suport for the reason why we have to have working dogs tail docked, to prevet this from happening. Now the tail has been opened it will be very very hard to heal, the sightest knock will open it again.

Nicola

Guest coney catcher99

nearly every bull x iv had gets this problem they get so excited and smash their tails on thr side of the runs and theres blood everywhere iv been told to dip them in super glue :thumbs:

Guest missymoo
nearly every bull x iv had gets this problem they get so excited and smash their tails on thr side of the runs and theres blood everywhere iv been told to dip them in super glue :thumbs:

Super Glue? Dip there tails init? Hope about you dip yer dick in supaglue and come back with the findings ...Just get the thing docked its going hurt the dog and youll have to be careful of infection and adminster pain killers ,but you should explain to your vet that the injury keeps on occuring.It will be a about 4 to 6 weeks recupperate

PS IT WONT BE CHEAP

Edited by missymoo

Super Glue? Dip there tails init? Hope about you dip yer dick in supaglue and come back with the findings ...Just get the thing docked its going hurt the dog and youll have to be careful of infection and adminster pain killers ,but you should explain to your vet that the injury keeps on occuring.It will be a about 4 to 6 weeks recupperate

PS IT WONT BE CHEAP

thanks i did nt know u can get them docked when the dog is matured

Guest coney catcher99

PS IT WONT BE CHEAP

i was talking from lurcher experience what good is a lurcher with a stump of a tail for running, i also didnt know you could dock an adult dog

PS IT WONT BE CHEAP

i was talking from lurcher experience what good is a lurcher with a stump of a tail for running, i also didnt know you could dock an adult dog

Me neither,,I thought vets wouldn't touch them over a certain age :hmm:

Guest missymoo

They will not dock for cosmetic reasons,they will dock for injuries ,if the dog continually damages its tail and there is evidence to prove so.Even the most anti docking vet will carry out what they term an amputation if cause and evidence can be shown..Supaglue can be used for cuts and rips only as emergency measure in the field and vetinary assistance should be sought as quickly as possible, there is a thread on this site for its uses on here in Working dog Health..the use of supaglue is to seal a wound you implied by dipping the tale in supaglue would be advantageous.I apologise if I took the use in the wrong light.

As for docking the pdf lays out the criteria for amputation/docking of older dogs

http://www.bva.co.uk/policy/issues/pol_brief_docking.pdf

Edited by missymoo

I had a look on this thread as I've recently fostered a bull lurcher with a damaged tail, it bled when she wagged her tail and it hit the wall:

matshalloween349.jpg

The room has just been decorated- the splodges on the skirting board are her blood too,

the walls were covered, as was the bed that she walked past:

matshalloween350.jpg

It doesn't look as bad on the photos as you can't see the spray- which hit everything :icon_eek: