LEAD TRAINING??

Guest Frank

I have had 7 full grown ghreyhounds in the past, mainly for hunting, so my experince of rearing them, training for track ect, is limited.

What i want to know is, over here, most young greyhound pups, are raised altogether, in big pens, or paddocks, plenty of freedom ect. They are like this, till their a year old, sometimes more, without ever having a collar on them. I have asked how they lead train them all and ,most trainers are vague??

They must take up an awfull lot of time, to lead train? At that age aswell, they would be double trouble, when trying them on a lead i would imagine? :icon_eek:

Hows it done, with all them young up and coming saplings, how do you trainers out their cope with it?

It would be intresting to hear all your experinces. :thumbs:

Frank.

Hi Frank if you have another dog that is trained to the lead bring it too it will take time

do it twice a day start with 100 yards up and back then go longer all the time after a week they will be ok

if you have to pull them do they will come with you call them and rub them don`t get cross with them or you will set them back

time is all you need hope this helps let me know how your getting on whit them

best of luck ;clay man :thumbs:

Thanks Clay man. :)

I dont have any Greyhounds right now, i hope to in the future, if i ever get some more space.

I just wonderd how you racing folk lead trained them after them doing what they wanted as saplings for a year or so. What you say makes good sence. :thumbs:

Alright frank

We had 7 unschooled pups come over from Ireland and had all but one lead trained in a couple of hours, just a few couple of minute sessions and they are sorted not the best to begin with round lorries and that but within a week they were walking along the road absolutely bombproof , the one that took longer to train I swear was a bit thick anyway he is the only one out if the litter that wouldn`t chase as well just a slow backward pup where everything with him was hard work

Thanks Chaz.

I allways wonderd how hard, or easy it was.

As i have allways brought up lurcher pups on a individual basis, had them lead trained ect, by 10 weeks old.

Seems to be totally different thing, with racing greyhounds.

Frank,i have often got lurchers that never were broken to the lead,so when you put a lead on them they scream blue murder,so what i do is put a collar on them first,then leave it for a day or so and they will do everything they can to get rid of it,after a day they settle down with it on their neck,then when they have gotten used to the collor i put a light chain attached to the collar and leave it and let them chew it and do anything else they can think of with it,you will find that after a day or so with this they calm down and within the week they will be walking on the lead for you,

Thanks folks. :thumbs:

Bull x, that sounds a good one.

What i usually do with lurcher pups, ect, is similar, collar on first, then couple of days later, try out on the lead, this seems to work. I have never had a problem with this method. I have allways done it whilst they were pups, from 8 weeks onwards.

It seems, from the above, sapling greys ect, that have never had a collar or lead on, have got broken into it, by slowly introducing them to it.

Thanks all very much. :good:

Frank.