High velocity.22lr ammo

High velocity.22lr ammo

Remington yellow jacket 33g HP, and CCI Velocitors worked ok for me historically. My rimfires have been dedicated sub sonic for many years.

If I want the extra grunt its my HMR or WMR, both of which are more accurate than .22lr HV for me!

:good:

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Well, I recently bought some of the latest Eley subsonic hollow and Eley high velocity hollow. The hv’s shot slightly tighter than the subs in two of my rifles.

????

Perhaps the subs are bad, or your barrels simply don't like them!!!!

I've had several subs that look like a shotgun pattern, but at the same time, so do many of the HV, PERSONALLY, I have never found a HV .22LR to shoot as tight as a sub!  (this could be the start of a whole new topic, Do you have a HV .22lr with better groups than your favourite Sub???)

I am getting 100yard groups as tight in my HMR as the OP is at 25 yards with a HV .22LR (and nearly as tight with the WMR at 100 yards). Hence why, for me, if I need the extra clout of a HV .22LR over a sub I will always reach for HMR/WMR.

No question, in years gone by I would use Subs and HV .22lr and found them both really useful.   I seem to remember that Magtech Subs 60 yard zero was the same as a Velocitor 100 yard zero (or something like that, it was a long time ago), which made switching quickly in the field easy!

PS      Thinking back, I got better groups with the Remington Yellow Jacket HV than I did with Remington Subs, but that was simply because the Remington Subs were rubbish! 

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
On 28/01/2023 at 09:49, Deker said:

????

Perhaps the subs are bad, or your barrels simply don't like them!!!!

I've had several subs that look like a shotgun pattern, but at the same time, so do many of the HV, PERSONALLY, I have never found a HV .22LR to shoot as tight as a sub!  (this could be the start of a whole new topic, Do you have a HV .22lr with better groups than your favourite Sub???)

I am getting 100yard groups as tight in my HMR as the OP is at 25 yards with a HV .22LR (and nearly as tight with the WMR at 100 yards). Hence why, for me, if I need the extra clout of a HV .22LR over a sub I will always reach for HMR/WMR.

No question, in years gone by I would use Subs and HV .22lr and found them both really useful.   I seem to remember that Magtech Subs 60 yard zero was the same as a Velocitor 100 yard zero (or something like that, it was a long time ago), which made switching quickly in the field easy!

PS      Thinking back, I got better groups with the Remington Yellow Jacket HV than I did with Remington Subs, but that was simply because the Remington Subs were rubbish! 

The old 40 grain eley subs were spot on in my anschutz, not had such good performance from them since they’ve been changed to 38 grain unfortunately. Not that these latest 38 grain ones I tried were bad, just not as accurate as the 40’s were for me. They used to shoot into one ragged hole at 60 yards.