Another for the Senopex A7!

I was having my breakfast on Thursday morning when i got a message through on WhatsApp. It was a video of a fox in a big garden and I recognised where it was. It was quickly followed by another message explaining that the fox had killed one of his chickens and could i go and have a look for it. This is at the home of the chap that owns three farms not too far away from me that I shoot foxes on regularly. I said I would go at night to have a look. It didn’t rain that night so I got my gear together and rang him to say I would be 20 minutes. I asked if there was anywhere in the garden that I could set up on to shoot off. He said I would be able to get down the track at the side of his garden next to the woods and that he would unlock the gate for me. Although it is a really big garden and a field to the rear of it i thought the 243 wouldn’t really be the best choice for the job. I briefly considered the hmr which has a Drone pro x10 on it but thought if I only get a long shot on the field it won’t be enough. Therefore I opted for the 204 with the A7 on it. To set the scene what we have is a muddy track between his garden which will be 200yds long and a spinney on the right of the track with an old barn in it. At the end of the track is a field between the end of the garden and the back of his brothers garden. As I drove up the track I could see a bright torch flashing about in the woods. I didn’t think that would be helpful in any way possible . I pulled up adjacent to the old barn and the landowner came to talk to me. After explaining that if the fox was in the woods it wouldn’t be now he realised what he had done and switched the torch off. Just as I was thinking about it being a waste of time I caught the glimpse of an eye right at the extremity of the Jimnys headlights on the hedge at the rear of his brothers house. I said I think it is there and I am going to the end of the track to have a look. Looking through the thermal I could see a fox on the other side of the hedge trotting away to the right. I quickly got the rifle on the roof with the rear bag and the foxpro on the bonnet. After fitting the magazine and chambering a round i scanned the ground looking for the fox again. Well it had fairly got a shift on because it was virtually at a big house 300yds away. I went straight into “vixen in heat “ and the fox stopped dead and looked towards me. It stayed there for about 10 seconds then set off running back towards me. I looked around to see where the owner was and he was about 20yds away on the track with the torch on again. I hissed at him to switch that f*****g thing off and come and stand still at the back of the Jimny. Meanwhile the fox was now opposite me but on the other side of the hedge and was still travelling to the left. Eventually it had got as far as it could go which was right up to the back of the garden fences at the end of the field, perhaps 150yds away. I could see its head poking out from behind a tree watching to see what was going on . It couldn’t see us and after after a few minutes it decided it was safe enough to enter the field and make its way back towards us. I had switched the A7 on and I was tracking it through the hedge at the end of his garden. It didn’t take long before it had cleared the cover of the hedge and it was directly in front of me sniffing the ground as it went. A quick “oi “ and it stopped perfectly still broadside on at about 100yds. It collapsed instantly to the shot and didn’t even twitch. The chap was absolutely made up and we went to recover it. It was a good dog fox weighing 19lbs. I have left him some bait to put out to see if there are any more about , i suspect there will be. 

3A796775-D9ED-4BB7-8F63-37FC3796BE8B.jpeg

• Like 6

I use senecot. But it's useless on fox's.

Nice writeup Ian but hey, some folk just haven't got a clue have they.

I was waiting on dusk last June for a fox raiding a chicken unit.

Just when it was nearly to dark to see and the time for the fox to pop through the fence the bloody farmer, who lives in a house over looking the range, starts shouting with expletives at , as it turns out, an imaginary fox!

I packed up and didn't return for weeks....sod it!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I use senecot. But it's useless on fox's.

Nice writeup Ian but hey, some folk just haven't got a clue have they.

I was waiting on dusk last June for a fox raiding a chicken unit.

Just when it was nearly to dark to see and the time for the fox to pop through the fence the bloody farmer, who lives in a house over looking the range, starts shouting with expletives at , as it turns out, an imaginary fox!

I packed up and didn't return for weeks....sod it!

I don't blame you packing up i would have done the same.  Why they can't just stay in the house out of the way when you are trying to help them i will never know.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ianm said:

I don't blame you packing up i would have done the same.  Why they can't just stay in the house out of the way when you are trying to help them i will never know.

Farmers/Landowners/Country folk are generally brilliant compared to domestics.    They want to know everything, keep pestering about gun/ammo/missing, then they turn up with a coffee and turn the lights on, doing your head and night vision, and then keep asking when the fox will turn up (after I've asked them to keep a diary of times) and how long I'm going to be there, will I get them all, will I have to come back, etc,etc,etc,etc.................... :(

• Like 2

Good write up Ian and shows the importance of knowing what the f**k you are doing .I’ve been in same position with landowner shining a torch and I’ve had to tell them in same way to shut the  f7ck up or do one .

Some think it’s easy and it certainly can be but when your used to your own company or one trusted mate it’s so alien to have a gringo along shining lights and talking .

• Like 1