I used to fish it for trout. I had a fishfinder when boat fishing and there were some big lumps showed up. The area near the bridge leading from Sheffield towards Manchester was a small bay off to the right that looked like trees had been felled and the stumps left before flooding the valley. That was full of big fish lurking in the roots, 30 feet down. No pike fishing in those days though. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Heard there was some big big pike in there but £200 a season to join the syndicate is out of my range 

Thrybergh reservoir is a good water for holding big pike i believe one was netted some years ago by the EA that was only a few pound off the British record though released i believe it was found dead a wile after.

• Like 1

Can't beat pike fishing in winter months late December Jan Feb when the big lady's have put that weight on. I've made a few live bait floats out of polly balls a bought from that shop Boys in brid. The polly balls are size of junior football. A need to get in the shed and find them have a session a think. There a place over in Yorkshire called pugneys water park nice size lake. It's a lake for kayaking an sailing but they let you fish the lake at the back end. The lake holds some big girls alot of over 20lbs. Few years back I had a monster of a girl 24lb 6oz to me it was anyway lol. That day  had a lovely 17lb 3oz girl beautiful markings on her too.  But a remember when getting her out of the net she has a big fresh wound on the side of her. Me an are kid looked at each other " An I said there's some monsters in here are kid to do that ? ?.  Soft f****r wouldn't touch none of them he's a novice to fishing. Even perch fishing he's one of them can you get it off hook are kid it's spiking me lol. But them polly balls I make hold 3 to 5lb jacks for big girls. You know if one of them is getting took your into a big girl. Love it ? 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bangersanmash said:

Can't beat pike fishing in winter months late December Jan Feb when the big lady's have put that weight on. I've made a few live bait floats out of polly balls a bought from that shop Boys in brid. The polly balls are size of junior football. A need to get in the shed and find them have a session a think. There a place over in Yorkshire called pugneys water park nice size lake. It's a lake for kayaking an sailing but they let you fish the lake at the back end. The lake holds some big girls alot of over 20lbs. Few years back I had a monster of a girl 24lb 6oz to me it was anyway lol. That day  had a lovely 17lb 3oz girl beautiful markings on her too.  But a remember when getting her out of the net she has a big fresh wound on the side of her. Me an are kid looked at each other " An I said there's some monsters in here are kid to do that ? ?.  Soft f****r wouldn't touch none of them he's a novice to fishing. Even perch fishing he's one of them can you get it off hook are kid it's spiking me lol. But them polly balls I make hold 3 to 5lb jacks for big girls. You know if one of them is getting took your into a big girl. Love it ? 

Have you heard of Wintersett Reservoir? In my opinion much better than Pugneys Water Park and not too far away. Fish it near the boat house or on the measure mark bank where the water is deeper.  Cold Hiendley Reservoir, smaller and next to Wintersett is also a good place. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Have you heard of Wintersett Reservoir? In my opinion much better than Pugneys Water Park and not too far away. Fish it near the boat house or on the measure mark bank where the water is deeper.  Cold Hiendley Reservoir, smaller and next to Wintersett is also a good place. 

Not fished wintersett for years but had some nice carp out of it , as for pike had a few low 20s out of the river Don over the years , the canals around here used to be quite good but dont seem as productive as they used to be , whether that's down to illegal fishing or other reasons not sure 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Not fished wintersett for years but had some nice carp out of it , as for pike had a few low 20s out of the river Don over the years , the canals around here used to be quite good but dont seem as productive as they used to be , whether that's down to illegal fishing or other reasons not sure 

Same as the canal and don around Rotherham mate i reckon a 20 plus fish will be pretty rare these day's and i know full well the eastern Europeans have hammered it taking and killing all the fish caught they were even seen once netting the Fitzwilliam canal that's near the Parkgate retail shopping centre some years ago a shame really as i am old enough to remember when these waters were heavily polluted by local industry and hardly anything living was in these waters.

• Like 1
On 05/11/2022 at 09:31, tatsblisters said:

Same as the canal and don around Rotherham mate i reckon a 20 plus fish will be pretty rare these day's and i know full well the eastern Europeans have hammered it taking and killing all the fish caught they were even seen once netting the Fitzwilliam canal that's near the Parkgate retail shopping centre some years ago a shame really as i am old enough to remember when these waters were heavily polluted by local industry and hardly anything living was in these waters.

Seen a eastern European knocking pike on the head at wintersett. Told him straight said bailif let's him take them. When a confronted the bailiff he says well he's got his leeds book. So really didn't give a f**k. 

• Sad 2