Perch Fishing

Taking kids out Sunday on canal hoping to catch perch or pike , thinking about drop shotting a small dead bait like sprats or taking worms as well never done it, any pointers . Best I've done was free lining sprats but casting is a bit tricky for kids with no weight....

On 22/10/2022 at 09:28, comanche said:

It was a very mysterious water with dangerously sloping banks  ; ripe with tales of being "bottomless" in places , lost army pontoon bridges , a crashed Ww2 plane and an unfortunate swimmer being "sucked down by weeds".

Needless to say the banks are now lined with fishing platforms . As for being "bottomless" ; on a quiet day l plumbed it from one end to another and nowhere was it over 13 feet deep . Bits of a crashed plane and some abandoned military ordinance turned out to've been retrieved from another pond further down the chain . What was based on truth was the death of the swimmer. Only a couple of years ago l found out that during WW2 a Canadian soldier  who had "befriended" a local lady and her young family  had indeed drowned in the pond during a picnic . The account came from one of the woman's ,now ageing,  children who remembers seeing him enter the pond from the far bank and hearing him cry out with shock at how cold the water was   .  His body was found the next day tangled in a bed of lillies .

Even before that tragedy it seems local lore had the pond to be a bad place . Possibly because rivalries between iron working gangs who once  controlled various ponds and streams in the area were known to touch upon violence . Also local  smugglers were wont to keep prying eyes at bay with hair-raising tales of spectral goings-on to cover their nocturnal activities . 

It certainly was a very atmospheric spot with a chill to the air .

My Mum hated me fishing there so l usually told her l had gone somewhere else?

Anyway it's a muddy carp hole now and the night fishermen seem to survive quite happily without recourse to side arms loaded with silver bullets . Perhaps they all use garlic boilies.

As young teens we found a very deep pond hidden away on a golf course inside a wood, legend spoke of a giant Zander somebody's brothers friend had introduced or lost in a legendary battle. I'd borrowed my father's vintage Abu 501? Reel had been attached with slip on ring on a cork handled float rod and fell in as I tried to climb through the surrounding jungle and toppled into the pond.i climbed in out of fear of repercussions. At the bank it was deeper than me at nearly six foot and after a few attempts to touch bottom I made the guilty walk home of about 3 mile...

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...