On the moles

20 hours ago, blueeyes said:

Grandson has took an interest in mole trapping , he was kindly given couple of traps, he set out seven , nothing the first check he lifted 5 and reset 2 and got 1 but not had anything since they are the tunnel type ones, I am hoping he does well at it as he has very bad ADHD and life has been a bitch for him, but he just gets on with it any advice chaps would be much appreciated , he has been watching a lot of ytube but conflicting stuff about scent etc etc thanks for reading  

Don't worry about scent at all. I always set traps from new. I wear gloves but only to keep my hands clean 

• Like 4

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished farm happy farmer 57 moles had grandson today with me he loves been on farms

Checking traps today and Two albinos from the same field.  

Future catcher in the making. Will undercut the lot of us as well. 10 moles for a yogurt.  

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Don't worry about scent at all. I always set traps from new. I wear gloves but only to keep my hands clean 

Thanks for the reply I will let him know 

1 hour ago, blueeyes said:

Thanks for the reply I will let him know 

He needs someone to give him a quick lesson. In 48 hours or less I'd expect every trap to have either caught or at least be sprung and blocked. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

He needs someone to give him a quick lesson. In 48 hours or less I'd expect every trap to have either caught or at least be sprung and blocked. 

Blooming eck he would be over the moon with that sort of success tks  

1 hour ago, blueeyes said:

Blooming eck he would be over the moon with that sort of success tks  

Think he's being sarcastic. Really not every trap....if you catch it in one trap and you have 2 other traps set in the area of that one mole.... obviously it's then not possible to catch it in the others. 

What I meant was if I set a trap in a group of mole hills or workings and it's in a good run I'd expect to catch it.....or it may bung the trap now and again. If your lad set 7 traps and there was only one mole then he can only catch one mole obviously.  If I have an empty untouched trap then it's because there's not been one there.

Fck I've made this sound more complicated than it needs to be 🤣

Get someone to give him a quick lesson 

• Like 2

Well he set another 4 two were filled and nothing in the others , he rubbed the traps in soil before setting and wore gloves that he rubbed in soil , but at least he knows there is one there lol tks 

On 26/02/2024 at 12:38, Steve Albano said:

Moorman and Tank, do you mostly use the Duffus style trap?  Any particular supplier you recommend?   

the uk putange barrel traps are good value, i have them and flatpack but i dont use barrel traps often now. Putanges are the most versatile trap for me, i can use them anywhere, i designed my own triggers that work great and i make them in different sizes so i can fill the tube with the trap, for me standard sized triggers are on the small side, big way round.

• Like 2

Grandson was back out he is struggling to find the runs after all this rain (clay soil) he is using an old fishing bank stick as a prodder, but said it all felt the same any advice guys tks 

3 hours ago, blueeyes said:

Thanks I am waiting on one coming from a friend , do you think it will make a difference even with the ground being so wet tks 

I can't say for sure but yes I would think so, they are designed for the job. You can feel it pop when you hit a tube.

• Like 2
On 17/04/2024 at 19:58, Moorman 1 said:

I can't say for sure but yes I would think so, they are designed for the job. You can feel it pop when you hit a tube.

i used to make probes, i cant weld no more after having to have a pacemaker so cant do it no more. I made them from 10mm 304 stainless, 30mm tube handle capped off, i drilled a hole in the handle and let the bar in to the inside of the other side of tube before welding, i welded a bit off 16mm bar on the end and shaped up with the grinder to make a bulb, i did smaller ones out of 6mm bar with a 9mm bulb on for hard or stoney ground, it is easy to feel the give when it hits the tube with a bulb on, as you lift it you can feel it banging on the top of the tube.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

i used to make probes, i cant weld no more after having to have a pacemaker so cant do it no more. I made them from 10mm 304 stainless, 30mm tube handle capped off, i drilled a hole in the handle and let the bar in to the inside of the other side of tube before welding, i welded a bit off 16mm bar on the end and shaped up with the grinder to make a bulb, i did smaller ones out of 6mm bar with a 9mm bulb on for hard or stoney ground, it is easy to feel the give when it hits the tube with a bulb on, as you lift it you can feel it banging on the top of the tube.

Many thanks for the info , a gent on another forum gifted one he got with  kit, so he cant wait to get out and try that , I also got him a copy of Molecatcher by Jeff Nicholls, he is a bit worried about the part that says the tunnel should be opened and closed ASAP as he is still getting used to setting them etc tks 

• Like 1