Lil Racoon job

Nothing much ,started a little trapping on a buddy's deer property. Going though about 100lbs of corn a week due to the fox and coon beating the deer. So far only one racoon one first night but that few pounds of corn not being eaten.received_585014835887931.jpeg.df8b49377a2c6abfbc5ea07df7a538a4.jpeg

Payment is mighty fine too ??IMG_20211117_141110731_HDR.jpg.3aeed82024f04b83858318bb6566064b.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Does the fur prime up well where you are wolfdog? Do you ever tan the furs, or send them to be tanned?

Southern fur ain't worth much honestly. We get alot of nice colors but as far as the thickness and what not fur buyers want we just don't have it. Now we do have good stuff like bobcats and otter that can get up to $300 a pop on good years but as far as fur that's about it. I personally don't mess with fur . I get $20 for a dressed coon carcass and I might , on a really good day with a really nice coon get $5 for the fur. Just not worth my time. However I am planning on messing with fur a little this year. There's a decent market for fur that's been put up in certain ways for wall hanging what nots.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

I get $20 for a dressed coon carcass

Are you an inveterate coon nibbler, Wolfie? I was wondering what it could be like, being an omnivore.

Was thinking how we really have nothing much to compare it to. But, then it occurred to me; Badger.

Our badgers probably eat as similar a diet as can compare. And badger biting's hardly ever been high on the culinary agenda, here.

10 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Are you an inveterate coon nibbler, Wolfie? I was wondering what it could be like, being an omnivore.

Was thinking how we really have nothing much to compare it to. But, then it occurred to me; Badger.

Our badgers probably eat as similar a diet as can compare. And badger biting's hardly ever been high on the culinary agenda, here.

Personally I'm not a big fan of eating them ,just not my thing. Possibly because I don't think I've ever had one good right,not to mention then never really plated really nice ? I mean their not bad but just kinda greasy. It's akin to kinda a greasy venison. Think it would be better slow cooked with some carrots onion bell pepper potatoes ect. Might try it again soon now that I think about it

Greasy. :hmm: Funny you should say that. Now, have I read that before? Or had I imagined it? Either way, yeah. Just got me curling my lip a bit, at the thought of it.

Now, as we're at it? What about Groundhog? Surely that's got to be a feed?  Do people in general, tend to eat them? Just realised I genuinely don't think I've ever seen it referenced.

9 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Greasy. :hmm: Funny you should say that. Now, have I read that before? Or had I imagined it? Either way, yeah. Just got me curling my lip a bit, at the thought of it.

Now, as we're at it? What about Groundhog? Surely that's got to be a feed?  Do people in general, tend to eat them? Just realised I genuinely don't think I've ever seen it referenced.

I hear Possum are the greatest challenge?

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, mackem said:

What dpt's you use @Wolfdog91 going to buy a few, they are around 20 CAD each. 

IMG_20211128_103907.jpg

I like the wolf creek Diablos.$100 a dozen shipped last time I bought em. Personally feel like they swivel better and I do t have as much foot damn over all compared to other brands

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

I like the wolf creek Diablos.$100 a dozen shipped last time I bought em. Personally feel like they swivel better and I do t have as much foot damn over all compared to other brands

Do you put golf balls on top after you bait them?