Blast from the past (reds)

Just been through my photos I dropped on a few memories of when I was breeding reds for the show bench an how hard it was breeding good birds to show an the amount of waist birds produced just to get a few I thought we’re worth showing an breeding from I used to practice true line breeding an also I used to cull hard I’ve a few funny memories of bird world political stuff that still makes me chuckle thinking about it…

B8527329-D2F3-4914-ADF3-0F046BFC43B4.jpeg

F76FE357-97B7-47B3-AFA6-C29854B5248F.jpeg

267587B8-B8FF-476F-B10C-B2E6CD8763EC.jpeg

A5F416F3-54E2-4D58-893D-DE520DF9746D.jpeg

774DC846-3A06-4A0B-B59E-62D620787EAB.jpeg

91AF8FBE-4A6F-48F4-B148-6F5951C7EAA2.jpeg

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I'm not a fan of the reds but can appreciate the quality of them mate. I've never shown a bird and don't think I'll start any time soon.

It’s hard work mate my average of young was 50-60 young per season just to pull 3-4 birds for the show bench it seemed a lot of hard work 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m same never been a fan of reds, some cracking looking birds there tho there conformation is top notch, could be easily tempted to build a bird shed an get some more glosters ??

l love the reds  cheers mate ??I thought I might build another but the more I think about it I think of time involved 

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Need to commited to breed that many ?

I was I was on a mission I was told as a bit of a insult to me it takes years to get a good standard of red birds an for a novice to breed or even get birds placed on the bench from 1-4th you’d need to know what you were doing i was ruthless with line breeding I proved a point upset a few people along the way an got some good respect earned an made some good friends along the way I had a bet I could get best in show before I completed my 5 seasons showing as a novice I done it in 4 seasons after I got best in show at the national I felt there nowt left to prove an dissolved the stud

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m thinking of futures down to one lurcher here am my lad sorts his terrier. If this ain’t my last lurcher it will deffo be the last I graft properly, so hopefully have bit time to spare for them, I wouldn’t do it unless doin it right ?

Same as me with the Lurcher it’s time to slow down I’ve to many young kids,family life house,graft to attend I wanna see my kids grow as life’s short an there not young forever I used to put a lot of energy in to running dogs breeding birds. I’ve been thinking a similar sort of thing I might get in to a bit of mule breeding again nothing to serious just something manageable 4-5 pairs 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, poxon said:

This bird here I recon was the best bird I bred he was a intensive red variegated cock bird I won best in show at the national show with him 

B5763081-2A85-48C6-8A7F-0269FBB860A2.jpeg

Wow? That really is a Page Three Stunner...!

Fabulous Red...?

16 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Wow? That really is a Page Three Stunner...!

Fabulous Red...?

Cheers phil ??That was a nice bird it had a few people shook when I entered the bird in the show people were asking who’s it was all day I was having people bid me for him some of these guys were showing under champions I had a few crazy bids but I didn’t sell. When I did finish the stud was dissolved the bloke who supplied me my original stock had the main stud back 

39 minutes ago, poxon said:

Same as me with the Lurcher it’s time to slow down I’ve to many young kids,family life house,graft to attend I wanna see my kids grow as life’s short an there not young forever I used to put a lot of energy in to running dogs breeding birds. I’ve been thinking a similar sort of thing I might get in to a bit of mule breeding again nothing to serious just something manageable 4-5 pairs 

I breed 30 odd mules a year and end up annoyed with myself for doing it again while I'm sorting out the cd every day and waiting for them to colour up and sing. I might just lob them in an aviary and not colour them next year.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I breed 30 odd mules a year and end up annoyed with myself for doing it again while I'm sorting out the cd every day and waiting for them to colour up and sing. I might just lob them in an aviary and not colour them next year.

Nice one gnipper what type of mule did you breed?good going on number bred can’t you Chuck half in the aviary half in moult out cages that you think might be male an have good shape to them. Birds are hard work it’s all good breeding time breeding them it’s this time of year waiting to see what’s what