Anyone one made a still ?

I was working on one last week and was wondering if folk on here have try making one .

I was working on this last week and started thinking it be good to have a small one going and the polish women who does the mixing said she used to use a small pot in the garden shed yrs ago in Poland and made some great recipes ,good to here from anyone who's given it a go .

20210914_125201.jpg

• Like 2

That's a beautiful bit of kit, good few grands worth. I'm looking to make one in a few years, being that I can do a fair bit of process stuff, loads of different plans and ideas online. I had a three day tutorial off the missus grandfather in Romania a couple of years back, wood fired from all the fruit tree pruning , basically a boiler in which you put fermented apples , which are left to rot in large barrels with lots of sugar, scraped the maggots off first , need a strong stomach at 7am to stir rotting apples and see the maggots with a hangover to boot. The nicest tuica as it's called is made with plums and a bit vintage. Mostly we were sealing leaks and testing the good stuff if a batch tasted too watery it got dumped and start again, needs it hot enough to reduce and blow steam and cool enough at the end to condense the alcohol, it was interesting and satisfying to brew your own for sure...

That's mighty fancy ?

We used much simpler gear to make illicit moonshine in the Middle East;

A pressure cooker with a coiled copper pipe run in front of an A/C, and into a five gallon jerry can, stood on a black heater plate.

Run the mash at least three times and it was as pure as you could get 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Borr said:

That's a beautiful bit of kit, good few grands worth. I'm looking to make one in a few years, being that I can do a fair bit of process stuff, loads of different plans and ideas online. I had a three day tutorial off the missus grandfather in Romania a couple of years back, wood fired from all the fruit tree pruning , basically a boiler in which you put fermented apples , which are left to rot in large barrels with lots of sugar, scraped the maggots off first , need a strong stomach at 7am to stir rotting apples and see the maggots with a hangover to boot. The nicest tuica as it's called is made with plums and a bit vintage. Mostly we were sealing leaks and testing the good stuff if a batch tasted too watery it got dumped and start again, needs it hot enough to reduce and blow steam and cool enough at the end to condense the alcohol, it was interesting and satisfying to brew your own for sure...

Got told it was around ten grand for one in pic but that's just a baby compared to other 4 they got ,the Eastern Europeans seem to be in to making there own spirits ,women who works the stills said she made it at home for yrs and sounded bit like you see in romania and said she'd help me if I wanted to set one up ,knowing me I blow me shed up ?

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

That's mighty fancy ?

We used much simpler gear to make illicit moonshine in the Middle East;

A pressure cooker with a coiled copper pipe run in front of an A/C, and into a five gallon jerry can, stood on a black heater plate.

Run the mash at least three times and it was as pure as you could get 

Cheers.

The women I spoke to said you can make some good stuff with simple kit ,she used to use a big old pressure cooker and convert it easy .she's going to write it all down for me as I'd like to give it a go .

I enjoyed working on the still ,it's a lovely bit of kit and we got a taster before we left .

• Like 1

You can get the little ones to go on your job at home, but if I was going for it I'd want as much product to make the effort worthwhile. My father was in Saudi in 70's , got out there early so was on camp with Americans, the company used to supply them with a booklet called blue flame which instructed them how to make moonshine with sugar , their wives would be on still duty all day in the bathroom or wherever, my father won a lot of favour bringing the sacks of sugar from the wholesaler, a life of poker and moonshine. 

3 hours ago, Borr said:

I made a bet years ago with Katchum, that I couldn't drink a full bottle of his father in law's peach schnapps.... he lost and I was fuucked ???

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Borr said:

You can get the little ones to go on your job at home, but if I was going for it I'd want as much product to make the effort worthwhile. My father was in Saudi in 70's , got out there early so was on camp with Americans, the company used to supply them with a booklet called blue flame which instructed them how to make moonshine with sugar , their wives would be on still duty all day in the bathroom or wherever, my father won a lot of favour bringing the sacks of sugar from the wholesaler, a life of poker and moonshine. 

Exactly right mate !

I was there from '78 to 'O4.

It was Aramco compound in Dammam where they gave the booklet "Blue Flame" to employees who wanted to make "sidiqui", 100 proof alcohol. 

They gave them the instruction book because a still blew up and burnt down a house, so instead of trying to ban it, they thought it would be safer to instruct them how to do it  ! ? !

We had a "tame" shopkeeper and used to get 100 kg of sugar at a go.

Sid & 7 UP was the usual drink, though I preferred Sid & Orange Tang, " The drink that went to the moon" ?

Halcyon days !

Cheers.

• Thanks 1