Decent jacket for the winter

Just now, W. Katchum said:

Might be okay for a amble round the block with your Akita mate but try standing about all day ferreting in the rain or on your knees moling all day with a shite jacket an trousers on ? it pays to pay a bit extra am be comfortable ?

As my old granny used to say, any fool can get cold and wet ?

I'm talking about a good walk in the slop, splashing out on fancy jackets as never really bothered me.

If I'm not mistaken the OP is a slop walker as well, something light and breathable would be best I should imagine.

Just get down to Go-Outdoors.

4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Of course it is, but can you wear it whilst doing other tasks is the question ?

The gore-tex all-in-one isn't fully waterproof. I was working near Halifax in the winter and it was torrential all night, a good 10 hours in the stuff and it didn't hold out.

7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

100 quid ain’t a fancy jacket ? that’s what I recommended. A half decent interactive berghaus that he can add fleece to later on ? even the paramo ones are only a bit more, if it stops the sweat on a good walk it money well spent, let’s see the jacket you wear out? Genuinely? I got loads an use a fair few depending on what I’m doing but I got w light fleece, a think waterproof berghaus an a big thick go viz orange monster jacket haha an they get used more than any other, depending where I’m at an what I’m doing, hi viz for cold dirty jobs about the yard tbh ?

I just normally wear a few thin layers with a lightweight waterproof jacket, I've got a big Barbour as well but don't often wear it, just a sweat box.

Not found anything that's 100% waterproof if your just stood around or digging in the rain..soon as you get mucky your getting wet...always got a spare set in the truck...worth getting a bottle of nikawax and adding to the washing every few months,I do my shorts and other shit for fishing,stops you getting soaked right through?Screenshot_20210824-175153.png.df7dfa326417c37d014419778308f490.png

5 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Forget about it pal, not sure on the few hundred quid ones as never spent that much but even the seeland an harlila trousers an that are either light enough to not get a sweaty arse or are  water proof you won’t get both imho, quick drying an half decent wearing is as good as you’ll get, if you do fancy some water proof ones tho for standing about or sat on quad or that them I got the seeland water proofs an they do job, also got a pair seeland ones that ain’t water proof am I wear them a lot an they take the abuse, not best when proper wet tho ?

Kinda what I thought cheers ? I've just got leggings that I'll put on if I really have to, like the morning dog walk so your not wet all day, or at work etc. But you'll know yourself if you've got a Berghaus on or similar you can end up soaked round the bottom of it, or hunting up rush etc. ??‍♂️

• Like 1