Selling kits

What age do you normally sell kits. When I got mine they were 8 weeks old, but mine that I bred this year are now 6 weeks old, and I think there probably advanced enough now to leave their mum. Providing of course, there not going to another home with adult ferrets. I think they would get ragged around too much, but if they were kept separate, I’m sure they would be fine. 

1 minute ago, moonlighter said:

What age do you normally sell kits. When I got mine they were 8 weeks old, but mine that I bred this year are now 6 weeks old, and I think there probably advanced enough now to leave their mum. Providing of course, there not going to another home with adult ferrets. I think they would get ragged around too much, but if they were kept separate, I’m sure they would be fine. 

far to young...and my opinion is 8 weeks is to young ...personally 10 weeks plus ...

at 6 weeks they have only had there eyes open 2 week...

far far to young

• Like 4

If you think there eating and drinking well enough take them away from the jill it will give her a rest and let her build her condition back up and it lets them get a bit independence's and still play with kits there own age till there big enough to rehome  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, The one said:

If you think there eating and drinking well enough take them away from the jill it will give her a rest and let her build her condition back up and it lets them get a bit independence's and still play with kits there own age till there big enough to rehome  

i dont believe theres any need for that either ....defiantly not at 6 weeks.....

lets not forget wild polecats would still be with there mothers at 4 month old......

i think this thing of get rid quick ....is born out of not wanting to look after them....lets get them re homed so there out of my hair.....

theres alot for young animals to learn growing up...they need to learn how to be a ferret....how to be a dog....etc

10 week is nothing out of anybodys life ....  

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, TOMO said:

i dont believe theres any need for that either ....defiantly not at 6 weeks.....

lets not forget wild polecats would still be with there mothers at 4 month old......

i think this thing of get rid quick ....is born out of not wanting to look after them....lets get them re homed so there out of my hair.....

theres alot for young animals to learn growing up...they need to learn how to be a ferret....how to be a dog....etc

10 week is nothing out of anybodys life ....  

definitely not wanting to get rid as I don’t want to look after them. All my animals live a life of Riley and the kids love looking after them. It’s the same when I’ve had pups. I was only asking as I’ve not bred ferrets for 15 years and the last litter I had I kept. 

• Like 1

Ive always removed the jill at 6 weeks if there eating and drinking fine and run them on by themselves till i get rid of them at 12 week  lets me see there all doing fine and let the jill build up her condition as i can start ferreting horse paddocks in august 

• Like 1

What we have found is if you take the kits away  to early you could run the chance of your Jill going back into season a second time. We normally seperate them from their mother around 10 weeks but not sell them until they are around 12 weeks just to make sure they are good. Another one is we sometimes leave one kit with the Jill to prevent her from going back into season. The last thing you want is to end up with is a colony of ferrets. 

7DE0686E-21C6-48E6-8CDE-DD8F6BAA101E.png

• Like 4