Early mole trap, type, in use

1 hour ago, earth-thrower said:

Hey mate, a really like your aluminium version of the full barrel. Clever stuff. You know at one time a wouldnt have thought old mole , would enter & travel plastic pipe & get caught ? lol  ,...until Bob proved otherwise. Do you make your own springs for your traps too, by the way ?

Yes mate make the full trap, I found that wiring a bit of Alkathene pipe in middle of spring makes it much more powerful. I also make the mumble stick out of plastic and split the setting cord into 2 bits with a knot on either that way you set it with a knot either side of the mumble stick so it is easier to set as it is delivering pressure on either side of mumble stick, it also goes off easier. Also I drill the hole through then open the inside out a little bigger diameter, the mumble stick goes through the bigger hole easy the backs up on the smaller hole, much easier to set.

• Like 3

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a double one, just made the one to try, put it in the other day and caught a single mole, the other side never went off so will catch double, I will be just making a few double catch and a lot

Easy to check these 

Thanks Phil but im no brain box, im thick as shit, just practical.

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

Yes mate make the full trap, I found that wiring a bit of Alkathene pipe in middle of spring makes it much more powerful. I also make the mumble stick out of plastic and split the setting cord into 2 bits with a knot on either that way you set it with a knot either side of the mumble stick so it is easier to set as it is delivering pressure on either side of mumble stick, it also goes off easier. Also I drill the hole through then open the inside out a little bigger diameter, the mumble stick goes through the bigger hole easy the backs up on the smaller hole, much easier to set.

Sounds well thought out that,..really good. As you've said if your experimenting with the length, of your traps & can catch somewhere, behind them front paws, etc, consistently,...would be ideal that ?

16 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

Sounds well thought out that,..really good. As you've said if your experimenting with the length, of your traps & can catch somewhere, behind them front paws, etc, consistently,...would be ideal that ?

PM a sent you there, mate.

20 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

a couple of other things i use, template to cut round with knife, pop sod out with scrappers and putange setting tool.

Here's the one spring I have left,...needs to have them wee end bits, for attaching through wee holes, on the wood barrel body, etc (unless there's a better way to attach them ? Iol)20210616_155528.jpg.0f154b9a743e1bfc28aa545b74a4d453.jpg