Finally built this trap

Been wanting to build perticular kinda cage trap for a while now for a few various reasons but never really got around to it till today. Got off work and said I was just going to do a little bit in the way of cutting out the panel and parts and we'll five hours later ??IMG_20210513_054855460.jpg.b7022fdcc340645923502586a21c9274.jpg

IMG_20210513_054910079.jpg.d7da30793e27cb1fd01f6718b44bdebb.jpg

Double doored guillotine with a wire conifer style trigger . Got a few places where I can't use my regular stuff and a normal cage would work but this would probably do better. 

• Like 1

Amazing what works over there, that wouldn't  work so well here. For fox, as a rule, we find, the bigger the trap, the better. Guillotine style wouldn't be as popular either. I have seen a lot of trappers use that style of trap over there especially for cats, and they catch well.

2 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Amazing what works over there, that wouldn't  work so well here. For fox, as a rule, we find, the bigger the trap, the better. Guillotine style wouldn't be as popular either. I have seen a lot of trappers use that style of trap over there especially for cats, and they catch well.

Honestly for your fox I wouldn't waste the time generally with a cage at all. Seems their more along the lines of our coyotes when it comes to a phobic nature also due to there size being bigger all in all it would just be a pain. I guess if they where some of the urban ones who where kinda dumb then yeah this blended into a bush could work Inna larger form but again them being phobic as hell and all. Honestly if j was plopped down in the UK and told I had to trap fox with your laws I'd be using snares.....well cable restraints  is basically what we'd end up calling them. Think I'd do good with a pocket full of pack of Wolf fang stakes ,snare  supports and 5/64 1x19 cable restraints. I had a buddy who moved over there for a while ( parents work and all) said he was able to try snaring them and since their larger than our reds is coyote 3/32nd 7x7 snares is what he used. Said the smaller fox snares he had where getting chewed through . That's being said though that's 7x7 cable crap is pretty easy for critters to get though, you can jump down two sizes when you use 1x19 and it's a different story but it will end up working.....too good if you catch my drift ?? annnnnyhow I'm rambling now ?

5 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Raccoon/fox trap?

Yeah , more of a concept trap really to see how the idea of the trigger  and all would work . But yes coon ,grey fox ( not even gonna try this on reds), feral cats, bobcat armadillo,rabbit ect should catch in this real easy. Showed it to a freind and he said with the wire trigger he could definitely see it put on slides shallow runs and other places for otter as well. It's too narrow for beaver ( cat cage design tall and barrow and all) though.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

You will get foxes in cage traps especially if you cover the mesh on the floor with soil or summat, but as you say/know, fox snares are deadly and iv saw them set around a cage after a fox being filmed playing around the trap, snare up an caught fox next morn ?

It actually suprises me to no end how people never think about covering the cage bitten or brushing it in any lol.  I was setting a few cages when a the property owner rolled up on me. Was in the middle of tossing some leaf duff on the bottom and we as about to brush it in and he asked why the heck I was doing all that. When I said " ummm would you just walk into a metal floored cage that wasn't here yesterday? Need to make it look like it kinda belongs here " you could have thought the had a life changing experience ?  a coved bottom some bush on the sides and a decent pain job will make the trap disappear.....well least until you catch one of these little shits ??20200430_120430.jpg.ec77dad5e9177d19ba107fc63a8028e9.jpg_thumb.jpg.a4e84fefe8f1dea01d746cb6fd36b862.jpg

Yeah snares are something else seen folks do exactly when your talking about but on hog traps.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...