Black Strap Molasses

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I bought a jar, yonks ago. It's used as part of a recipe for some shit to lure certain moths - which I like to photograph. Only I never did get round to finding the rest of the stuff that ye need and then it got cold, and the moths went away. Then I got skint and the honey I usually use in my tea sort of never got replaced. I found myself digging out the sticky bag of vile, white shit I once had to buy when I just couldn't find anything else - like my preferred, organic raw cane suger. Then That ran out and I wanted a cup of tea!

Something deep in my mind sparked up. Just what was " Molasses " anyway??? F*ck it. No time like then to try and find out! I dug out the unopened jar and read the label.

There it was! Some chatty mention of how this black, thick, syrupy looking shit used to be what people used as a sweetener. I guess in the days before we all went over to ultra processed, gleaming White, tooth rotting, heart stopping " Granulated white suger "?

F*ck it; Into my tea with a spoon full of the black stuff then! Could even be better than nothing?

Know what? I've finished that jar and just bought a f*ck off big jar of Organic Black Strap Molasses from the local wholefood shop! I honestly don't think I'll ever buy honey (three times the price! :icon_eek:) again and, if ye gave me a choice? I'd ask for Molasses in my tea Over even honey! I just Love that flavour!

Dare to be differant, people! It's got a distinctive strong, dark, malty flavour to it. Seriously differant from that white crap ye may be used to. This shit has Character!

Buy it and try it. And, if it disgusts ye? Great! Even better! Just send the f*ckin jar to me and I'll use it in My tea! :laugh:

Really though; Anyone tried it?

I used to put it in ginger cakes and parkin instead of white sugar etc. Even spread it on bread and butter before: definitely an acquired taste! Doesn't it contain a lot of iron? Or something like that! Much better for you than white sugar I guess, though I don't fancy it in tea or coffee LOL

ditch

that stuff woulden be the stuff you use in treckel bread? i get molasses for mixing with the meal for the horses, i get a five gallon drum full for a £5 great for fussy eaters just wondering, i know it is the same stuff they use for baking :hmm:

Black strap mollasses,there's a blast from the past. My ex father in law used to take one or two supplements,vitamins etc. He always used to have a big dessert spoon full of the old "black strap"every day. Not to sweeten tea or anything,he just had it straight from the jar.

i got a bit aneamic a while back (not eating me broccoli!), and popped into the local healthfood shop. i can't take multivitamins because they always make me really ill, so the bird in there suggested iron tablets with blackstrap mollasses. she said they don't give you the runs like some plain iron tablets can. so maybe having a spoonful in your tea will cure that little problem you've had since your first glass of Irish water?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ossie; Nothing on earth will sort out That 'little problem'! Pushing three years now and no change. Anyway; It's quick, conveniant and good for my heart! :laugh:

Horse; That's Exactly the stuff, mate! It's in my ready mixed meal which I give my donkey too. No wonder the Dogs'll snaffle it, given half the chance! In fact Dean O' (whose mother has horses) was telling me the same thing just yesterday; That they have huge drums of the stuff, dirt cheap, in the Creamery in town. So now I know how come that is! ;)

You other people; Why not give it a whirl? See above, look. It's Good for ye! Can ye say that of what You put in ye tea these days? I know I'll certainly never look back now - that based on the strong, distinctive and lovely taste alone :toast:

Having just sunk a mug as I typed this ...... Best I can do is suggest it lends an almost Sherry like flavour? Vaguely like whiskey in ye tea, without the alcahol. Anyway: Yummy! :yes:

seem to rember having it as a kid...... except as a fake medicine, if you were well enough not to have black molasses, you were well enough to go to school! perhaps i never did try it, and perhaps i should of done :thumbs: a sweet treat for not going to school, that would of f****d their mind games :D:D

I used to be spoon fed the stuff as a child & something malty tasting from a jar began with a V but i cant remember what now, i also remember being dosed with cod liver oil & haliborange :laugh::laugh:

Well i thought i would see what i could find about this stuff & stumbled across this seemingly a cure all including turning grey hair to its origonal colour :laugh::laugh:

Molasses Cures

Updated: January 8, 2008 12:33 PM EST

Thanks to the wonderful feedback we have received over the past eight years, blackstrap molasses appears to be making headlines as one of the best home remedies around! We have emails from our readers about blackstrap molasses curing cancerous tumors, fibroid tumors, anxiety, constipation, edema, heart palpitations, anemia, arthritic pain, joint pain, and acne, just to name a few. It has also been reported that molasses turns gray hair back to its original color and is a wonderful skin softener!

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:clapper::toast: Well there we are then, folks! Another belter brought to ye from Ditch's Kitchen! People like it and it's good for us!

The Leitrim Experiment. Slow Cooker quissine. Black Strap Molasses! I even wonder myself what I'll come up with next! :laugh:

I used to be spoon fed the stuff as a child & something malty tasting from a jar began with a V but i cant remember what now, i also remember being dosed with cod liver oil & haliborange :laugh::laugh:

Hi Kay,would that of been 'Virol' it was a preparation of Bone Marrow...."an ideal fat food for children and invalids".I've got an old stone jar that it used to come in. :thumbs: .....................martin.