We have just racked our Sloe Wine and it is almost perfect, she has made over ten Gallons and it has surpassed all expectations in fact it is one of the best She has made and over the last 50 years she has made a lot , Sloe Wine is easy to make and Sloes are easy to pick you need 15 LBs  to make 5 Gallons plus 15 LBs of Sugar  , as i said this is probably the best Hedgerow Wine i have ever had and next season we might go for 25 gallon 

IMG_20210311_135324.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

I was given a bottle of slow wine an slow vodka last year as a tip after trapping a customers garden for her, I need to go back again in next couple weeks before she adopts some more lambs an clear her little field again, here’s hoping for more vodka ? I not a drinker but that was nice ?

Marry Her  Don and i will have a pup off of ? Her

er

• Haha 1

Never thought about doing sloe wine Micky. Did Blackberry Whisky, Blackberry Vodka, Sloe Gin and Wild Plum Gin nice but tbh bit sweet for me. The Sloe wine looks a really good colour mate. 

Cheers Arry

I might have a go at that myself next year, my hedgerow exploits have been Blackberry Blackcurrant Rose hip and plums, the plums they were something else they were so ripe and juicy I just new that the natural fructose was going to be high I wasn’t wrong one bottle and I was crawling and dribbling like a fool it was great.

I have also had a go at Rice & Raisin a very quick wine can be drunk in 6 weeks but it’s rocket fuel, and I had an excess of mint one year and found a recipe in an old book Tea & Mint wine it was a shocker bloody awful.

Good effort though Micky looks like your going to have a nice summer drinking that lot.

• Like 1

Micky. Are we talking wine here as those quantities, mainly the sugar content, would surely make a liquor rather than a wine. JMO.  I do the same but with gin, vodka, whisky and a few others. As Arry says and I concur, have used strawberry, gooseberry, black cherry, damson and of course sloe. The lads never want to leave my place when I break open a bottle. Oldest is 2014. Jok.

• Like 1

My Mrs always work on a ratio of 3lb of sugar per 1 lb of fruit  mainly because she always  uses a heat mat which gives a better fermentation

todays brew is 2 1/2 gallons of  Carrot Wine , the recipe is a simple one and can be found on  BREW BITZ,

IMG_20210312_105430.jpg