No rabbits and a young pup

Hey guys,

First time posting on here so hello ?

Iv got a year old pup and i get out with her between 2 and 4 times a week, gone round all the local spots (10 mile radius roughly) that usualy have rabbits and there's bugger all this season to let her have some runs on.

Shes had a couple of runs but not ideal as very skitty rabbits right by hedges and was miles away from us so she had no chance, shes also...at 5month decided to chase 1 red stag and 2 does (walking off lead training gone wrong...) luckily she came back unharmed.

My question is, pre ban has anyone or heard of anyone starting lurchers on other quarry than rabbits?

Both her parents did all quarry well and she seems to have the drive.

Dont have any other lurchermen to go out with unfortunately so whatever happens she would be starting on her own and 18 months+

Any historical pre ban advice guys?

Edited by Ringrose187

3 minutes ago, Ringrose187 said:

Hey guys,

Iv got a year old pup and i get out with her between 2 and 4 times a week, gone round all the local spots (10 mile radius roughly) that usualy have rabbits and there's bugger all this season to let her have some runs on.

Shes had a couple of runs but not ideal as very skitty rabbits right by hedges and was miles away from us so she had no chance, shes also...at 5month decided to chase 1 red stag and 2 does (walking off lead training gone wrong...) luckily she came back unharmed.

My question is, pre ban has anyone or heard of anyone starting lurchers on other quarry than rabbits?

Dont have any other lurchermen to go out with unfortunately so whatever happens she would be starting on her own and 18 months+

Well what do u think yourself 

41 minutes ago, Ringrose187 said:

Hey guys,

What method of hunting are you using when you say your out 2-4 times a week 

Just now, poxon said:

What method of hunting are you using when you say your out 2-4 times a week 

Just out for a mooch for afew hours with the lamp to see whats about and also for her exercise. Got a large back garden she gets plenty of running and play but the 2-4 times a week is over fields at the back of the house, local golf course or afew other spots we go in the car to.

Just now, Ringrose187 said:

Just out for a mooch for afew hours with the lamp to see whats about and also for her exercise. Got a large back garden she gets plenty of running and play but the 2-4 times a week is over fields at the back of the house, local golf course or afew other spots we go in the car to.

Maybe it’s your method of lamping or how your lamping if you’ve seen rabbits there by hedges there be some kicking about they know your coming before you even realise what’s going on this time of year there no longer green that’s why there sat at the hedge line because they been spooked they probably outsmarted many a lamper an know what the lamp means 

• Like 2

Could be something as simple as entertaining a field from a non normal way of entering that can get you between were the rabbits are wanting to be heading an in the position of getting at them why there out in the field for a run could be as simple as that.

• Like 1

Time also I have some rabbit local to me that if your there before 0200 then you ain't seeing nothing but hedge huggers after that time you'll see 6 or more out in the open or like poxon said educated rabbits that see a lamp and know the score so shoot off sharpish 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, fred90 said:

what did you plan to hunt when you bought the dog? 

I’m guessing rabbit fred ive seen loads of people buying rabbiter types an think there going to be layden with loads of rabbits because they don’t want hassle owning other types and how the law stands then realise the rabbits are more scarce than they thought unless there willing to put miles in then find there self snookered with a dog that they struggling to get work for 

4 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Time also I have some rabbit local to me that if your there before 0200 then you ain't seeing nothing but hedge huggers after that time you'll see 6 or more out in the open or like poxon said educated rabbits that see a lamp and know the score so shoot off sharpish 

Got spots like that my self if your there before 12pm won’t see a sausage have a shine at 2.30-3am your get a couple of runs. Had spots the opposite get there 9.30-10 your get some runs the later you leave it the less chance of runs one thing I’ve always been told is never think your the only person to run any land there will always be someone else at the same crack ??

• Like 2

it's a case of putting the miles in then. by foot and by motor. I went for a mooch at 7-30,today got back around 12-30.saw 3 rabbits and marked a nice little 2 holer.dog only got a run at 1 which ran into some stables and I had to leave sharpish. 

• Like 2