First shots with Cast Bullets

11 hours ago, KimE said:

Dont use daycron or other fillers in bottleneck cartridges it may cause pressure spikes, the same if a metal gascheck come loose inside a bottleneck cartridge. Hogdon trail boss are recomended for low velosity modern cartridges.

You have a pefect object for cast bullets in your Mosin-Nagant  .311/200gr.

Is what rifle against the wall a sportizised SKS?

Yeah I decided against Dacron,at least for now.  Considered trail boss but it's pressures are just too low to operate a semi auto.

The mosin is probably gonna be the next gun I start casting for. I need to slug the barrel though and see what the actual bore diameter is because their notorious for being anywhere from .308-.316 minnie a Russian hex reciver so theirs a much higher chance for it to be proper diameter but I got a box of .315 soft balls for slugging so we will see.

And yes that is a sks , was my first center fire rifle actually lol. Dad basically said if theirs kids running around afghanistan with them and not breaking them it should be good for me ?  Also looking at casting for it though finding brass for 7.62x39 that's priced right it's kinda a pain  it's also going to be restocked a have a PU scope mount installed.

13 hours ago, Meece said:

Don't be concerned about the paint on the wall or sound quality or having a load of different  guns. I'd  rather have  one gun which I  knew that I could take out a rat at 100 paces with consistently and reliably with  one shot than spray and prey with a truck load of random guns of dubious ability. As  you previously stated in an earlier post about people won't lay out the dollar for high end stuff is probably why Remington went bust and CZ have just bought Colt. It's also the same reason that we find that American 22 ammunition is so unreliable and inaccurate.  Still it's all good fun and the interaction with you is great.

Honestly I just kinda collect guns lol. I know it seems strange but it's what I do lol. Some people collect cards, shoes,cars, me I collect guns ??  And i usually prefer the ones that need some work. Don't get me wrong I love quality weapons, theirs a Begera 6.5 Creedmore at the pawn shop right now I'm in love with and if I had $1200 to spend I'd probably get it but  I have a feeling id probably get bored of it guess it would be different if I shot competition or something  though ? like my 521-t i posted a while ago I can pop shot gun shells with it at 60yd now all day but I don't really touch it now because,well it works and I know it works same with my ruger 10/22,my .243 and 30-06. I know if I need to bust a coyote running across the field,a hog at 300yd ,or a fox squirrel in the tree I can do it with with no real problem. And it's kinda boring to me lol what can I say I just love the process ( and all the headaches that come with it) of taking something thats mediocre and loading for it,restocking it tinkering and moving stuff around to make a better gun. I understand alot of hall find this beyond odd but it's just how I am.

I will say though I absolutely, positively LOVE accurate rifles and marksmenship. I mean don't get me wrong I've shot actual machine guns and I do like just dumping a a mag of rounds from time to time and its fun but being able to put well aimed fire exactly where you want, not in the general areal and not "close enough"  but exactly where you want is beyond rewarding for me .

And as far as the cheap rifles, yeah I'd say a good 50% of gun owners just want the cheapest thing they can get to do the job. I get asked all the time thing like " hay I wanna get a AR-15 what's the cheapest in one I can get " or " hay what's the cheapest deer bullet that will shoot good" honestly makes my eye twitch at times especially when it comes to taking game. They don't want to think out what they actually need they just want to be able to open a box have everything set up and go kill a deer for less then $400 and a box of shells.It's either that or they buy the most expensive thing they can thinking a expensive rifle In a fancy caliber with a nice scope will make up for their lack of what ever.  Can't tell you how many times I've been to the range and see both types of people on either side of me having the exact same problems. Gotta explain to the guy on my left his $40 scope on his $300 30-06 and  isn't gonna hold zero then turn around and tell the guy on the right his $800 Ziess on his brand new $1500 Ruger rpr in 6.5 Creed isn't gonna make up for the fact his fundamentals need work because he's flinching and slapping the trigger on like it owes him money. Honestly that's one thing I'm really admire about y'all across the pond ,y'all actually take time to learn what you need how to shoot and what works with you and your gun.  Sorry for that little rant but man is it aggravating at times.

And it's wonderful talking with y'all BTW. Nice change of pace ?

• Like 1

I know where you're coming from.  I've  been told that I  have too many guns but ive got them and have set a precedent  to have them and as such I  keep them.  From the forums it comes across as if over here we are treated as subjects and have no guns but that isn't quite how it is. Sure they banned handguns and auto rifles ect but apart from a fun shooting aspect most didn't have a sensible purpose.  We live in a very populated island and space is small.  We can have weapons but the person that wants them has to show various things, like.... what purpose is the gun for.  E.g. sporting, target, vermin control.  Where is it going to be used.?  Do you own land or have written permission to shoot on someone's land and is that land suitable for the weapon,  what security will the weapon be stored under to stop others gaining access.  Are you a suitable person to have weapons.... like are you a violent nut job that is going to shoot or threaten others.  Generally if the applicant can fulfill the conditions then you are issued a certificate and can get the weapon/s.  This system works pretty well overall and this is why most of the violence of gangs of teenage blacks on the city streets involve knives and stabbings / murders  because they don't have access to guns or ammunition. And it's a good job that they don't because it could become carnage with the lives of young people wasted before they grow up. a few pictures of some of my guns I couldn't show more because of file size.

DSCN7748.JPG

DSCN7752.JPG

209_0906a.jpg

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
On 17/02/2021 at 03:42, Gav said:

Thats called cyclonic ???

I want to know more about your target camera set up, I really need something as my old peepers ain't too good out to 300+ yards ?

Gav here the target can I'm using right now, really dust for fiming honestly. I usually set it a few feet from the target and turn it on, then I gotta go and sync up all the shots.thats being said if you have some $$$ to spend the shot market system might be something to look

IMG_20210218_140017084.jpg.a506012889e8b0d23d9ce352cfdfd713.jpgIMG_20210218_140029926.jpg.2ba422fa20456ae4dca2b83eb144ff88.jpg

9 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Gav here the target can I'm using right now, really dust for fiming honestly. I usually set it a few feet from the target and turn it on, then I gotta go and sync up all the shots.thats being said if you have some $$$ to spend the shot market system might be something to look

IMG_20210218_140017084.jpg.a506012889e8b0d23d9ce352cfdfd713.jpgIMG_20210218_140029926.jpg.2ba422fa20456ae4dca2b83eb144ff88.jpg

I thought you'd set something up so you could see where you hit on the target live, I realise now the phone you have hooked up is for the chrony huh ?

23 hours ago, Meece said:

I know where you're coming from.  I've  been told that I  have too many guns but ive got them and have set a precedent  to have them and as such I  keep them.  From the forums it comes across as if over here we are treated as subjects and have no guns but that isn't quite how it is. Sure they banned handguns and auto rifles ect but apart from a fun shooting aspect most didn't have a sensible purpose.  We live in a very populated island and space is small.  We can have weapons but the person that wants them has to show various things, like.... what purpose is the gun for.  E.g. sporting, target, vermin control.  Where is it going to be used.?  Do you own land or have written permission to shoot on someone's land and is that land suitable for the weapon,  what security will the weapon be stored under to stop others gaining access.  Are you a suitable person to have weapons.... like are you a violent nut job that is going to shoot or threaten others.  Generally if the applicant can fulfill the conditions then you are issued a certificate and can get the weapon/s.  This system works pretty well overall and this is why most of the violence of gangs of teenage blacks on the city streets involve knives and stabbings / murders  because they don't have access to guns or ammunition. And it's a good job that they don't because it could become carnage with the lives of young people wasted before they grow up. a few pictures of some of my guns I couldn't show more because of file size.

DSCN7748.JPG

DSCN7752.JPG

209_0906a.jpg

Absolutely beautiful rifles my freind  ! Don't think I could take those out since I'm too rough with stuff ?

But yeah I guess the whole gun thing is just plain different depending on where your from. Honestly I feel is your a good law abiding citizen and you want a dang mini gun just to have then hay why not and past the standard background check ( which you have to do for every gun you buy seems 80% of people have no clue you actually have to do a criminal and psychology back ground check and pass it to buy a fire are ) the government shouldn't know any extra at all.. Then again that's kinda an American ideal. Just about every state with hard gun control has some of the worst gun crime. California if a prime example, long waiting period s,tons of paper work to buy ammo, expensive laws against semi autos, I mean to own a AR like mine ( and mine is an extremely basic one ) it has to modified out the wazoo with all kinds of safety features and and abe made so it basically has to be dis assambled to reload. All that on proper law abiding gun owners and citizens and they still have rampant shootings and gang /cartel violence because buying a full auto AK-47 illegally is actually pretty friggen easy. Same with Chicago getting a concealed carry legally is a pretty hard thing to do but it's not hard at all to get a illegal him down at the trap house.

It's a big can of worms but honesty I blame people more than anything. Like seriously I sure I could come and give you a AR-15 and a hand gun and I doubt your just gonna magically turn into a mass shooter

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Gav said:

I thought you'd set something up so you could see where you hit on the target live, I realise now the phone you have hooked up is for the chrony huh ?

Exactly right. I am looking at getting a spitting scope and a scope cam attachment so I can hook my phone to it though

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Exactly right. I am looking at getting a spitting scope and a scope cam attachment so I can hook my phone to it though

I've been looking at IP webcam, so you can stream from an old phone over WiFi hotspot to create a live cam, just not had chance to get out and test range of it yet, but looks promising ?? 

• 4 months later...
On 20/06/2021 at 03:10, KimE said:

Finally I have got a Husqvarna rolling block "modell 1867" made 1872 with target aparture sights. I have casted 12,17/.497 385gr slugs for it.

husq.jpg

parker hale.jpg

I love that rear apatuure sight !? Looking really hard at a pedersoli rolling block myself

I was looking for a Pedersoli for my self as I could have used a 45-70 as a hunting rifle but with a price of ~1600$ here and I bought this 12,17*44r(competition only) for 220$ I can buy a project Husky Rolling Block(maybee 100$) and rebarrel for less money.