hi, i usually use partridge in this but pheasant will be fine, this is my own recipie

breast meat cut in to pieces (from 4 partridges)

1 large onion chopped

250g sliced mushrooms (approx)

2 teaspoons dried tarragon

dry vermouth (martini)

salt and pepper

2 chicken oxo 1 beef oxo

water

cream

gravey granules ( to thicken at end)

fry onions and musrooms together in a bit of oil put in casserole dish, then fry meat to seal and add that to dish, add salt pepper and tarragon, mix oxo with hot water and cover meat (make sure meat is covered throughout cooking add more water if needed) add martini ( as much as you like! try 1/4 pint) cook for about 1 1/2hrs-2 hrs at 200oc( reduce to 180 oc after about 45 mins) about 10 mins before serving remove from oven thicken with gravey granules and add some cream to taste. put back in oven to haet up again and serve, nice with some roasters!

this is my own recipie so all amounts are approx.

pppp.jpg

zumerzet chicken.

this is a recipe i was given by an aunt who lived her whole life in a village near Bridgewater called Weston Zoyland.it got its parculiar name in the days when even the mention of pheasant for tea would get you up before the beak! as with most old country recipes the quantities are aproximate Aunty Conie would just add apinch of this and a shake of that but she finally put it to paper before she died in the 1980's.

1 plump pheasant,hung for 3 days .

2 tablespoons of seasoned flour

2 oz dripping or bacon fat.

2 tablespoons of condensed tomato ,ie paste or home condensed and potted.

1 pint of stock (rabbit stock idealy but chicken or pheasant will do!)

1 good sized onion.

1lb carrots sliced not peeled.

1 cricket ball sized turnip peeled and dixed

a pinch of garden herbs ,sage thyme,parsley chives.

half a jug of cider (half a pint)

joint the bird into four and toss in seasoned flour,then brown in a pan with the fat.remove to a casserole dish and deglaze the pan with the cider then add the remaining flour and herbs then pour over the bird in the casserole dish.

Now add the rest of the ingredients ,cover and cook in a moderate oven for an hour and a half.serve with red currant jelly.

hope this appeals to you folks,it realy is a nice change from wrapping in bacon and roasting!

Guest digdeep
theres always tomorrow!

this is my first one, and like i said i never seen this thread, so all i did was cover it with bacon and roast it, im going to have veg and roast spuds, is there any kind of sauce i can put on it? just i think it will be dry if not

theres always tomorrow!

this is my first one, and like i said i never seen this thread, so all i did was cover it with bacon and roast it, im going to have veg and roast spuds, is there any kind of sauce i can put on it? just i think it will be dry if not

i just have plenty of gravy with it and some bread sauce mmmmmm!

Guest little_lloyd
what should a working lurcher be fed on and what type of training should it get to get it fit

That recipe you mentioned Hob&jill,, Ive got that recipie in one of our cook books somewhere.. I cant wait to try that one.

I have a load of birds hanging that weve been shooting over the past few months,, So after my family and frinds have collected thier braces mine will be going to that resipie.

A few weeks back we had a bbq going in the wood one night after a afternoon rough shooting and did a load of the meat in pitta bread with mango chutney..,,,That was gorugus :yes:

Mind you i much prefer partridge :D

usually have pheasant roasted,but thought id try it a different way today,does anyone have any good recipes preferably casseroles perhaps

Hello mikey. Try boning off the breasts, cutting a small slit in the side and filling with stilton or another strong creamy cheese. Wrap in slices of Black Forest Ham (from Lidl. very cheap) and roast for about 25 mins maximum. Serve with all the trimmings but no gravy. Lovely stuff.

Greengrass3