new squirrel traps

Guest little_lloyd
I've got two problem squirrels at the moment. The sods have eaten fist size holes in my feed bins that hold my chicken layers pellets, and mixed corn. They are plastic lids, and they go through 'em in a matter of an hour. :icon_eek:

I've even tried feeding the little sods ontop of the bins - but does that stop them chewing :no:

Where can you get these traps? Are they the best sort? ... or anyone wanna come sit in the garden with a gun???? I love the kids seeing the squirrels, but these particular ones HAVE to go!

Stick a fenn in the feed give em a suprise when they chew threw. On my feed hoppers that the pheasants are fed threw i stick a tunne under them with a mk4 fenn trap placed they pick up a good few.

Erm, well I'm sure thats great advice, but I dont understand a word of that :doh: Whats a tunne?... :doh: I think I sound a right muppet :icon_eek:

Sorry Lol i misstiped,, I mean tunnel,, Stick that purpose buit tunnel under your feed bin and stick a trap in the tunnel.. Wheni have mine running i have a good number of squirrels picked up this way under my feed hoppers.

post-7667-1200173709.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got two problem squirrels at the moment. The sods have eaten fist size holes in my feed bins that hold my chicken layers pellets, and mixed corn. They are plastic lids, and they go through 'em in a matter of an hour. :icon_eek:

I've even tried feeding the little sods ontop of the bins - but does that stop them chewing :no:

Where can you get these traps? Are they the best sort? ... or anyone wanna come sit in the garden with a gun???? I love the kids seeing the squirrels, but these particular ones HAVE to go!

Stick a fenn in the feed give em a suprise when they chew threw. On my feed hoppers that the pheasants are fed threw i stick a tunne under them with a mk4 fenn trap placed they pick up a good few.

Erm, well I'm sure thats great advice, but I dont understand a word of that :doh: Whats a tunne?... :doh: I think I sound a right muppet :icon_eek:

Lloyd means a tunnel, something like thisDSCF3876.jpg

DSCF3877.jpg

P8020037.jpg

Will give results like this

squirrels001-1.jpg

from before i caught mine, he sat on the cage top and set it off, then decided to try to gnaw through the fence and strap

new11013.jpg

strap removed as it was holding the bottom cage on, for the money you pay, you'd think it came with clamps to easily remove holding cage.

Edited by donky7
Guest little_lloyd

There good tunnels proper job :thumbs: Really like the look and design of them!! I just build basic tunnels and use sticks and stones on the entrances to prevent non quarry targets from getting in,, but those look the job.

Just situate them under or by the side of that feed bin tis tm and there inquisitiveness should drive them in!!!

Donks, I saw that pic on the UKPCO site, as someone has already remarked some customers will not be happy when the fence is shredded like that, Ditch soon saw the solution, and I would have thought the inventor would have discovered that before they went on sale, as you say they are not cheap, however I can see a use for them, as different customers want different things.

There good tunnels proper job :thumbs: Really like the look and design of them!! I just build basic tunnels and use sticks and stones on the entrances to prevent non quarry targets from getting in,, but those look the job.

Just situate them under or by the side of that feed bin tis tm and there inquisitiveness should drive them in!!!

I use these usually at permanent sets, they are heavy and you cannot carry more than two at any one time, but given a coat of preservative they will last for years, you can take the chain off the Fenn and once it has been triggered it cannot be pulled out as the inner hole is only 2" square. I tend to use bodygrips for short term trapping as easier and quicker to set.

Thankyou Lloyd! I get it now :D I haven't got any of that gear to hand right away, but I'm sure my brother has got something very similar he'd lend me.... Just for tomorrow I might have a go at setting a snare :hmm:

I'll let ya know how I get on, Thanks again, :)

Guest little_lloyd

Thankyou Lloyd! I get it now :D I haven't got any of that gear to hand right away, but I'm sure my brother has got something very similar he'd lend me.... Just for tomorrow I might have a go at setting a snare :hmm:

I'll let ya know how I get on, Thanks again, :)

What the baitstation one GW out up,, I cant wait to set my wires for them but vi cant see the squirrels have been using it yet.

And no feckin comments on the state of my shed :icon_redface: I hope to get it like Snaremans one day :whistling:
proper job, you don,t want a shed like mine as its standing room only , i,m waiting on woodga and duckwing coming up to clear it out for me to take all these snares away , by the way whats wrong screwing a modified rat trap to the post , cheap , light and easy , and effective no chewed posts , dead squirrel.
And no feckin comments on the state of my shed :icon_redface: I hope to get it like Snaremans one day :whistling:
proper job, you don,t want a shed like mine as its standing room only , i,m waiting on woodga and duckwing coming up to clear it out for me to take all these snares away , by the way whats wrong screwing a modified rat trap to the post , cheap , light and easy , and effective no chewed posts , dead squirrel.

Tis true,a MK6fenn or Magnum in a wooden box-tunnel,mesh one end and restricted entrance t'other,few peanuts,hung on a fence ...works very well but you have to be aware o the customers'and neighbours'sensibilities.The box-tunnel is essential to stop birds ,cats etc investigating and also for clean kills,let alone legal reasons :thumbs:

Tis true,a MK6fenn or Magnum in a wooden box-tunnel,mesh one end and restricted entrance t'other,few peanuts,hung on a fence ...works very well but you have to be aware o the customers'and neighbours'sensibilities.The box-tunnel is essential to stop birds ,cats etc investigating and also for clean kills,let alone legal reasons :thumbs:

Thats the rub of the matter there Snareman, many customers want rid of but they don't want to really think about the end matter, a lot of them think I do a catch and release program, well I do, but when I release them they never seem to go very far. And can I come up and help remove said contents of your shed?

WHILST IM SURE THATS A VERY GOOD TRAP, I JUST DONT SEE THE POINT IN LIVE TRAPPING SQUIRRELS.

OK IF THERE IS THE POS OF TRAPING A RED , THEN FAIR ENOUGH.

BUT ON THE HOLE ITS A PAIN IN THE ARSE. YOU IETHER GOT TO SHOOT IT , OR SACK IT AND SMACK IT.

IF A CUSTOMER SAYS ARE YOU GOING TO CATCH IT ALIVE AND REALSE IT , I TELL THEM NO THE TRAP KILLS THEM . IF THEY ARNT HAPPY ABOUT IT I EXPLAIN ABOUT THE LAW RGARDING NOT REALSING GREYS, BECAUSE THERE ALIENS.

AND I ALSO SAY , THAT IF THERE REMOVED AND RELEASED THEY WOULD BECOME A PROBLEM FOR SOME ONE ELSE.

SO FAR I HAVN'T LOST A JOB EXPLAINING THIS, HAPPY TRAPPING TOMO :)