Ferreting without clichès.

Yesterday ,after doing a few chores l set out with a dozen nets ,a ferret and the dog. I had no thoughts or even a chance of a big bag but lt's October ; the time of year when a Gentleman's thoughts turn to rabbits.  

I could say that the dog tracked along the hedgerow and eventually gave a mark under a bramble patch but l won't.  That would be a hackneyed old clichè!

Anyway we found some holes ,one of which interested the dog immensely. 

Stealthily l set the nets, taking care not to alarm the inhabitants of the bury. No, that is not only another ferreting  clichè, it's a lie. 

I had to crash about ,bashing brambles with the spade before l could even see most of the holes. 

I entered the ferret, an elderly white jill. 

Wrong again; l've never entered an animal in my life! 

Anyway ,in went the ferret and out came a rabbit. If there was any flurrying of fur and balling-up in the meshes l'll not mention it. Far too much of a cliché.

Then l  became side-tracked by some mushrooms. And no; l wasn't envisaging a sizzling pan of bacon but l did wonder how l was going to get them home intact.

The next little bury the dog favoured was deep in some blackthorn. A bit of a cliché l know but this time it was true. There was definately no pretence of making a covert approach with the nets .

20201003_153553.jpg.d33fd24b974a2d5de8aae11548cae639.jpg

After some muddy , painful and undignified scrabbling about to lay the nets l popped (definately still no "entering" involved) the jill into a hole. 

Glossing over the bumping and rumbling below ground for fear of entering(oops) clichè territory l'll just say that it was quite noisy for some time underfoot. If   the dog was quivering with anticipation it was because he doesn't ,for all his intelligence, know what a clichè is.

Eventually two rabbits came out into nets so we packed up and went home.

20201003_155955.jpg.a107c0082fa26bcb912f3e042abe379b.jpg

Where after seeing to the animals ,a well earned bath and change of clothes l settled before the roaring fire with a plate of bacon and freshly picked mushrooms.

Doh, what an horrendous clichè!

Edited by comanche
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2