Scuffs and light scratches

It's the air arms s410 ,one of the landowners asked if i could do anything with it to clean it up a bit and get it zeroed properly for him,he lent it to one of the lads who works there to shoot the rabbits whilst working, but hes neglected it a bit and the owner is a bit pissed with him.. 

Jimmy gave me some info to try on a pals rifle which I did and it worked very well.  You need some   0000 grade wire wool, I cut a piece off the role and sprayed my gun oil all over the wool, then carefully and lightly rub all over the problem area of the barrel. I kept checking the area so you do not overdue the process. 

If this does the job for you, it was my clever technique but if it doesn't work...........................it was Jimmy's fault  ? ?

This made a big improvement to my pal's rifle Phill so worth a go.  Make sure you do not get a more coarse wire wool.  Jimmy told me to be very light with the rubbing down in case it scratched the metal so beware, on my pal's gun, I confess to increasing the pressure I used as it didn't touch the barrel in terms of scratches but that doesn't mean you can on that gun.

Hope that helps Phill.

Phil

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, philpot said:

Jimmy gave me some info to try on a pals rifle which I did and it worked very well.  You need some   0000 grade wire wool, I cut a piece off the role and sprayed my gun oil all over the wool, then carefully and lightly rub all over the problem area of the barrel. I kept checking the area so you do not overdue the process. 

If this does the job for you, it was my clever technique but if it doesn't work...........................it was Jimmy's fault  ? ?

This made a big improvement to my pal's rifle Phill so worth a go.  Make sure you do not get a more coarse wire wool.  Jimmy told me to be very light with the rubbing down in case it scratched the metal so beware, on my pal's gun, I confess to increasing the pressure I used as it didn't touch the barrel in terms of scratches but that doesn't mean you can on that gun.

Hope that helps Phill.

Phil

Cheers phill, I will let the owner know and see what he says...

12 hours ago, airbourne said:

There are plenty of vids about cold bluing on you tube it look easy even for little patches, I am in the process of doing a old BSA 

Yes,.I watched a couple but after having a good look at the gun, its probably best to do the whole barrel and cylinder..,so the owner would rather get it reblued, than patched up, I've emailed a couple of companies about rebluing as none of them are answering their phones ,just waiting for a reply...

On 24/05/2020 at 23:05, Phill-W68 said:

Cheers phill, I will let the owner know and see what he 

I got back intouch with the owner of the s410, told him I could have a go if he wanted but I've never done it before, he decided to try and get the barrel and cylinder fully restored , so just waiting on a couple of companies to get back to me, it belongs to one of my permission owners, so just trying to help out...

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Phill-W68 said:

I got back intouch with the owner of the s410, told him I could have a go if he wanted but I've never done it before, he decided to try and get the barrel and cylinder fully restored , so just waiting on a couple of companies to get back to me, it belongs to one of my permission owners, so just trying to help out...

Get in touch with Cheshire Gun Rooms Phill as they may be able to handle the job for you either directly or indirectly.  Helpful people there I have found on the dealings I have had with them.

Phil

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, philpot said:

Get in touch with Cheshire Gun Rooms Phill as they may be able to handle the job for you either directly or indirectly.  Helpful people there I have found on the dealings I have had with them.

Phil

Cheers pal,cheshire gunroom in stockport is  only 10minutes from me,  funnily  enough I had an email this morning from a company down south, said £170+vat, if i fully strip the gun down and just send the barrel and cylinder...

12 minutes ago, Phill-W68 said:

Cheers pal,cheshire gunroom in stockport is  only 10minutes from me,  funnily  enough I had an email this morning from a company down south, said £170+vat, if i fully strip the gun down and just send the barrel and cylinder...

£204 plus carriage for an AA410...........................not a bloody chance would I pay that sort of money on a cheap air rifle like that.

Phil