Learning to Stalk [Ayrshire, Scotland]

Good Morning, folks!

I'm an absolute novice at stalking and was looking for some tips on getting started! There's not really anyone around here that I can learn from, I'm afraid - no groups and I don't know any gamekeepers or rangers that I can pester ask to teach me! That's alright though, I have the motivation and perseverance to teach myself. 

Full disclosure, I'm a photographer rather than a regular hunter... But on the other hand, the only real difference (as far as I am aware) is how I finish a hunt!

My only worthwhile skills so far are in building a hide and sitting still for long periods of time. Useful tools - but I lack the knowledge and experience to use those tools effectively.

I've identified a few points-of-interest that I can visit on my way home from work without having to go out my way - daily exercise and commute all rolled into one! I don't want to say for certain, but I'm reasonably sure I've identified two feeding areas, a bedding area, and possibly a wallow... though it's also possible I just found a rank-smelling muddy hole with lots of hoof prints. 

The local deer are Roe; there four of them that I know of, usually traveling as a family group though I do encounter solitary deer as well - I'm unsure if they're part of the same group or not. 

My goal is to be able to get in close to deer for a few choice shots. My instinct is to practice stalking and reading trails first, which will allow me to properly site a hide, and in future, once I learn to move quietly I can also "hunt" other critters... like that grey squirrel that taunts me every day after work - it likes to skip across the road in front of me, but is terrifically shy the rest of the time!

So! How do you folks think I should proceed? Where should I start?

Ps - With regards to coronavirus, I refuse to endanger others and have performed a number of risk assessments on my outdoor activities. I take steps to reduce risk to myself and others and have taken into account such factors as proximity to my daily commute, ability to reduce the number of people I meet, and increase the distance to them, while still working in a safe environment with good road access in case of emergency. The goal is to be as-safe-as a regular walk - such that the risk doesn't suddenly increase just because I'm holding a camera and attempting to follow deer. 

Edited by cprobertson1
added location to title
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jok said:

I'm guessing you in the Borders area. Jok.

Oops! I should have said. I'm over in Irvine, Ayrshire :) Nice little area - plenty of land for me to wander once the lockdown is lifted!

Edited by cprobertson1

Now someone might pick up on it. All I would say is that you try your damnest to find who the local stalker/s is or are. Apart from anything else , provided you are no threat to them and their permissions, they would more than likely give you some friendly advice on how to go about your challenge. Good luck sir. Stay safe. Jok.

• Like 1

Many thanks!

I'll start chasing up some leads and see where it gets me - I can't think of anyone offhand, but they must be about somewhere - just a matter of finding them. Any suggestions on where I might try looking?

Actually, I wonder if the local ranger service might be able to put me in touch with someone, if I get stuck, that is... I'll try asking folk I know and see where it gets me before I bother a council service. 

Edited by cprobertson1

Unless the ground is Forestry Commission, in which case that is your best introduction, then it will be privately owned farmland in which case, speak nicely to the farmer.  In general they are very approachable and in your instance I would think they'd be more than I tested in your results. You might , after getting down for a few hours be able to give them valuable information on deer numbers, species etc. Once again good luck and stay safe. Jok.

8 hours ago, cprobertson1 said:

Good Morning, folks!

I'm an absolute novice at stalking and was looking for some tips on getting started! There's not really anyone around here that I can learn from, I'm afraid - no groups and I don't know any gamekeepers or rangers that I can pester ask to teach me! That's alright though, I have the motivation and perseverance to teach myself. 

Full disclosure, I'm a photographer rather than a regular hunter... But on the other hand, the only real difference (as far as I am aware) is how I finish a hunt!

My only worthwhile skills so far are in building a hide and sitting still for long periods of time. Useful tools - but I lack the knowledge and experience to use those tools effectively.

I've identified a few points-of-interest that I can visit on my way home from work without having to go out my way - daily exercise and commute all rolled into one! I don't want to say for certain, but I'm reasonably sure I've identified two feeding areas, a bedding area, and possibly a wallow... though it's also possible I just found a rank-smelling muddy hole with lots of hoof prints. 

The local deer are Roe; there four of them that I know of, usually traveling as a family group though I do encounter solitary deer as well - I'm unsure if they're part of the same group or not. 

My goal is to be able to get in close to deer for a few choice shots. My instinct is to practice stalking and reading trails first, which will allow me to properly site a hide, and in future, once I learn to move quietly I can also "hunt" other critters... like that grey squirrel that taunts me every day after work - it likes to skip across the road in front of me, but is terrifically shy the rest of the time!

So! How do you folks think I should proceed? Where should I start?

Ps - With regards to coronavirus, I refuse to endanger others and have performed a number of risk assessments on my outdoor activities. I take steps to reduce risk to myself and others and have taken into account such factors as proximity to my daily commute, ability to reduce the number of people I meet, and increase the distance to them, while still working in a safe environment with good road access in case of emergency. The goal is to be as-safe-as a regular walk - such that the risk doesn't suddenly increase just because I'm holding a camera and attempting to follow deer. 

What is it your actually looking for mate?  Is it more places and opportunities to photograph deer or a stalker to trail around with time learn some field craft to get closer to deer?

10 hours ago, brambles said:

What is it your actually looking for mate?  Is it more places and opportunities to photograph deer or a stalker to trail around with time learn some field craft to get closer to deer?

The latter :)

While I can sit with a big lens and wait for them to come to me, I would much rather be able to go to them, and get up as close as I can. 

10 hours ago, CHEVINFOX said:

Walk little look lots

Indeed! So far I've not met many out in the open (though I did nearly cycle into one yesterday morning) - but that's more an artefact of the time that I'm out in the field than anything else.

Learning their routes and what sorts of times they move out of cover is another reason I was wanting to learn more about the fieldcraft side of things.

Edited by cprobertson1
2 hours ago, cprobertson1 said:

Indeed! So far I've not met many out in the open (though I did nearly cycle into one yesterday morning) - but that's more an artefact of when I'm out than anything else. 

Learning their routes and what sorts of times they move out of cover is another reason I was wanting to learn more about the fieldcraft side of things.

sent you a pm 

On 12/05/2020 at 17:34, jok said:

Chevinfox. Still love those pics pal. Don't know how many times I've looked at them. Stay safe. Jok.

cheers jok they were taken about 10 miles(kelso) from where you used to live 

• Thanks 1