9 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I was a young ornithologist an part of the club ?spent months an months travelling about watching fire crests and gold crests, the fire crests were always me fave tho, they the nuthatch am free creepers, don’t know why jist always made me smile watching them, ole watching an old pal walk up the road towards you ?

Lol yeah, treecreepers one of my favourite birds.

I was 14 when I joined lol. Still go to some rspb reserves in wales from time to time. Cracking place in llanddeusant, brecon. Pretty boggyish little place,only about 4.5 acres I think, off top of my head. Great place for treecreepers. 

There's another really good place for them, only about a mile from me, mixed woodland with birch dominating. Don't think I've ever been there and not seen at least two on any one visit. Pretty good for nuthatch too, as well as the odd goldcrest?

55 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I done most the reserves an wildfowl centres in wales with an old neighbour years back to keep me out trouble, it worked aswell, most me pals are dead or doin lifers now ☹️ But here I am still jumping about with a pair a bino’s at hand most time?i honestly would have bee odds on fave as a lad to be killed or jailed first, I feel I owe it to not only the neighbour who helped but the birds who made me wanna keep going ??

That's great katch. Wasn't as bad personally as a youngster as you, by the sounds of it lol, but was going the wrong way quite a bit really, until I started appreciating the wildlife around me.

Quite sad really, and pisses me off quite a lot,  that most kids these days only really know about 'modern technology' and hardly f**k all about wildlife. And that includes my youngest lad too. He started showing a glimmer of interest a couple of years ago, which I loved and tried to encourage, but to no avail lol. 

I'm certainly glad I wasn't born within the last 30 years. Everything since about the late 80's has gone downhill lol ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Lol yeah, treecreepers one of my favourite birds.

I was 14 when I joined lol. Still go to some rspb reserves in wales from time to time. Cracking place in llanddeusant, brecon. Pretty boggyish little place,only about 4.5 acres I think, off top of my head. Great place for treecreepers. 

There's another really good place for them, only about a mile from me, mixed woodland with birch dominating. Don't think I've ever been there and not seen at least two on any one visit. Pretty good for nuthatch too, as well as the odd goldcrest?

havnt seen a treecreeper or nuthatch in a very very long time...................loads of goldcrest in my garden tho...they hang about in the fir tree.and at very low ground level in the hedge......i still wonder at the size of them

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

My kids are interested but nowt like I was, I try an use the web to help em, fcuk if I had them YouTube vids of wildlife as a kid if a been glued to it aswell haha the ole trials of life an other series on the tele were the highlight of my week growing up ?? now a days kids have got access to millions a vids at the click of a button, an done even care☹️ Would rather watch some video of some adult playing a computer game ffs?☹️

Yep, the world's gone MAD lol ?

Just to add, can you imagine what 'the ban' is gonna be like in about 5 years time? Pretty bleak prospect I think mate ?

Edited by shaaark
17 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I was a young ornithologist an part of the club ?spent months an months travelling about watching fire crests and gold crests, the fire crests were always me fave tho, them the nuthatch an tree creepers, don’t know why jist always made me smile watching them, like watching an old pal walk up the road towards you ?

Alot get mixed up with the tree creepers an the nut hatcher. The nut hatcher has a line from beak through the eye to the back of his skull. Where the tree creeper is a mottled brown an white colour. Both lovely birds yesterday I was walking hounds an seen a male reed bunting in song cracking bird female was there two In the reeds about 4 5 ft away from me