They're back!

I messaged the farmer this afternoon to say I'd be on the rape fields for a mooch. 

Now bearing in mind I've took alot of rabbits of his fields, the place was lifting again. Not complaining mind gives me plenty to go at. 

After getting the through the gates as quietly as possible I pulled the van up next to the barn and got set up. 

Equipped with the CZ 455 22lr, nite site NV on the scope and my new toy a Yukon signal 320 rt NV spotter. 

First scan was the small cow field next to the barn, 8 spotted. I climbed the fence and stalked in, managed only 4 due to the crack bouncing around from the wooded area next to the field, also there's some lodges so only safe shots were taken away from the lodges. 

I climbed back over the fence and headed into the rape. As I started scanning around I spotted another 2 just up the track, wind in my favour I crept up. The joys of using a NV spotter, what a game changer ?

1 more down, now the bags getting bloody heavy? still got a fair way to walk yet?

As I approached the top field I couldn't see many about, until I pushed a bit further on towards the hedgerow. I've see alot of Warrens along there but they've always managed to evade me as they are very lamp shy. Not this time, armed to the teeth with NV 4 more got bowled over. Unfortunately these got left were they dropped, but at the end of the day it's shear pest control and that's what I'm there for. 

On the way back I checked next doors field and fook me it was lifting?, lots of lush grass and these hoppers were making the most of it. 

There's going to be a message to my farmer tomorrow to see if he can have a word and get me on next doors land, fingers crossed??

I've got plenty of fox bait in the freezer now which never comes in wrong. 

Looks like I'm going to be busy, foxes on the sheep fields/stables and crop munchers on the farm. ?

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Longshanx said:

Using the Nite Site Wolf, cracking piece of kit for Bunny Bashing

Is that the early model or the dark ops? As there’s a big price difference, I’m interested if the dark ops is worth the extra money. A friend of mine has the original viper that he uses on his air rifle, he’s shot hundreds, if not thousands of rats with this set up, the only thing is the screen brightness really.

I totally agree LS, the NiteSite despite all the Ward 700/800 units and the onslaught of Pard everywhere you turn, has a very valid place in night time shooting. I have both the Wolf and the Viper and for ratting, they are supreme in my eyes and despite the light from screen, I rarely scare rabbits away ( I admit once they see my face, most things run like hell ). I am using the wolf at the moment on a spare scope as a spotter hand held which is brilliant from the car checking fields.

My shooting partner has gone the Pard route, in fact I am just having a play with an 007 he bought to join his 008 and 019, very nice too. He is selling his Wolf if anybody is interested.

Phil

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Is that the early model or the dark ops? As there’s a big price difference, I’m interested if the dark ops is worth the extra money. A friend of mine has the original viper that he uses on his air rifle, he’s shot hundreds, if not thousands of rats with this set up, the only thing is the screen brightness really.

Bloody crap DB. 

You have to consider that the dark ops has a big reduction in range over the 850 nan light so if you want a wolf 940nan, buy an Eagle to get the same distance. I was actually told that by NiteSite staff at a show.

To be honest, they are not worth the extra money.

Phil

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, philpot said:

Bloody crap DB. 

You have to consider that the dark ops has a big reduction in range over the 850 nan light so if you want a wolf 940nan, buy an Eagle to get the same distance. I was actually told that by NiteSite staff at a show.

To be honest, they are not worth the extra money.

Phil

Interesting, thanks Phil?

4 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Interesting, thanks Phil?

4 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Just the early model, does exactly what you want from it, crystal clear. If you wanted extra IR add a torch, but for the distance you shoot rabbits and rats it's not needed. 

Edited by Longshanx
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, philpot said:

I totally agree LS, the NiteSite despite all the Ward 700/800 units and the onslaught of Pard everywhere you turn, has a very valid place in night time shooting. I have both the Wolf and the Viper and for ratting, they are supreme in my eyes and despite the light from screen, I rarely scare rabbits away ( I admit once they see my face, most things run like hell ). I am using the wolf at the moment on a spare scope as a spotter hand held which is brilliant from the car checking fields.

My shooting partner has gone the Pard route, in fact I am just having a play with an 007 he bought to join his 008 and 019, very nice too. He is selling his Wolf if anybody is interested.

Phil

You do get lit up from the screen but I tend to just pull up my neck warmer. 

I've looked at the pards, nearly bought the 007,but you need to watch what scope you use with it, if it's got a really good coating on the lens I don't think they work well l,so I've been told. 

Stavross got the nite sight first, as soon as he set it up that was me wanting one straight away????absolutely spot on.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Longshanx said:

You do get lit up from the screen but I tend to just pull up my neck warmer. 

I've looked at the pards, nearly bought the 007,but you need to watch what scope you use with it, if it's got a really good coating on the lens I don't think they work well l,so I've been told. 

Stavross got the nite sight first, as soon as he set it up that was me wanting one straight away????absolutely spot on.

Your spot on with the 007’s ls, no good if you’ve got a good scope on.. I sold mine as I’d rather use a good scope till last light. 

ive got a perm just like yours, the more I shoot the more seems to come back next year.. I take photos to show them cos it looks like I don’t do anything?

had hundreds off there last year and picked up the land next door that’s rife and holds a few foxes too?

?you get it, it’ll make for some good summer nights

• Like 1
2 hours ago, si brown said:

Your spot on with the 007’s ls, no good if you’ve got a good scope on.. I sold mine as I’d rather use a good scope till last light. 

ive got a perm just like yours, the more I shoot the more seems to come back next year.. I take photos to show them cos it looks like I don’t do anything?

had hundreds off there last year and picked up the land next door that’s rife and holds a few foxes too?

?you get it, it’ll make for some good summer nights

Might start taking more photos Si, but I think the farmer can see the numbers on the farm dropped. The place was jumping when I first took it on. One good thing for me is the numbers are back up to keep me shooting, shouldn't take long to get them thinned back out. Looking forward to some summer night bunny bashing?

I'm still waiting on a reply about the land next door so fingers crossed. If I do get on I'm sure he'll want the foxes gone as he has sheep in the fields ??

Edited by Longshanx
  • Like 3