Some bow hunt

The Pope and Young Club officially certified the Clayton Miller ram as the new world-record Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep.

On Oct. 30, 2018, Clayton Miller set out to fulfill a lifelong dream of filling a big-game tag. The excitement of drawing a tag in itself would've left him satisfied, but no one could've expected the kind of success he experienced.

"I couldn't believe it when I got the phone call that my name had been drawn for the first and only bighorn sheep unit in the Badlands of South Dakota," Miller said in a press release. "I have been dreaming of the opportunity to draw a tag like this since I started applying religiously at the age of 12."

He was hunting in Pennington County with a bow when he shot the ram that recorded a final score of 209 1/8 inches. Miller's bighorn ram bested the previous Rocky Mountain ram world record--shot by Todd Kirk in 1998--by nearly 10 inches.

It's now the largest hunter-killed Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, according to both Pope and Young and Boone and Crockett.

"The Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep is such an American icon," said Ed Fanchin, Records Chair for the Pope and Young Club. "To have the privilege to part of a Special Panel of Judges to authenticate its final score was a special treat."

Miller's record-setting harvest comes after successful restoration efforts that revitalized the bighorn sheep population in South Dakota.

"This is a true testament to the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and a shining beacon of what can be accomplished with efforts and funds being dedicated to wildlife," said Justin Spring, Records Director for the Boone and Crockett Club.

The Pope and Young Club Convention in Omaha, Nebraska, will feature a display of Miller's world-record bighorn sheep.

The conference isn't until April, though, so we'll all have to make do with photos for now. Miller, however, will have memories to enjoy for the rest of his life.

"I went into this hunt knowing that there were some spectacular animals in the area," he said. "But it was beyond my wildest dream that I would be after the new Pope and Young 

Screenshot_20200121-194441_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jetro said:

How you getting on with your target shooting with your bow. You planning foreign hunting trips like NZ, but with your bow.

Atb j 

Tbh mate I've had a play with it and put it away for a while. I'm busy with other stuff and haven't got the back garden to be regularly flinging arrows. I'm not selling it though because one day soon, hopefully, I might just get the opportunity to do it justice!

I think big adventure opportunities like NZ are such a big deal to me that I'd probably always take the rifle over the bow. The bow is another experience I want in my goal of being the most well rounded hunter/outdoorsman I can be but I'm not a out an out bowhunter type so the rifle doesn't feel like second best, if you get me?

• Like 2

Was watching a bit of josh james last night in the bath and one of the problems I think for bow hunting is getting close enough to your quarry over there, seems very remote to us but with people hanging out of helicopters shooting everything the goats seemed very switched on and ready to flee at the drop of a hat one guy wrapped a goat skin round himself hoping the other bull would come down and challenge him but even that f****d of, think the bow is something we should all have a basic knowledge of for the day the shit hits the fan ??

13 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Was watching a bit of josh james last night in the bath and one of the problems I think for bow hunting is getting close enough to your quarry over there, seems very remote to us but with people hanging out of helicopters shooting everything the goats seemed very switched on and ready to flee at the drop of a hat one guy wrapped a goat skin round himself hoping the other bull would come down and challenge him but even that f****d of, think the bow is something we should all have a basic knowledge of for the day the shit hits the fan ??

All down to field craft and patience.  I read up about a few now hunters, and on average I think their comfortable to take a shot in and around the 50 yard range, not much over that. Yes your right about having basic knowledge of bow hunting. It should be made legal in the UK and Ireland, after a strict course it taken first before your giving the go ahead, plus work it on a tag system.

Atb j 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, jetro said:

All down to field craft and patience.  I read up about a few now hunters, and on average I think their comfortable to take a shot in and around the 50 yard range, not much over that. Yes your right about having basic knowledge of bow hunting. It should be made legal in the UK and Ireland, after a strict course it taken first before your giving the go ahead, plus work it on a tag system.

Atb j 

That’s why I love my catty,s, the purist form of hunting using a stick and some elastic at ranges of 20/30yards, if you don’t have any field craft you ain’t getting fa ✌️

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, jetro said:

Nice going.

Do you eat them.

Atb j 

They are alright and would do if I was hungry but they are a pain in the arse to skin so I tend to tie them to a tree and put a camera up to see what eats them ?

A1437F2A-36B9-4A9C-A4AD-6EC38AC0EC02.jpeg

• Like 1