Eventually been an bought a new box and collar as the old mk2 had its day is it just me or is it very difficult to locate a ferret  had one kill in on Saturday in a fairly deep set dug it at five foot before but could not get an accurate reading kept on going from 16 foot to 4ft is it faulty or do I not know how to use it above ground the reading is bang on and took me ages just to get a reading off the box the earth is sand and shale and never had problem with the grey box had it in a shallow set about a foot deep and was all good 

Yeah Pointing it to floor with depth to top I’ve used the grey box years and bang on every time , yeah I had a play with I a while when I bought it in garden someone told me if the ferrets rolling with the rabbit it can send readings crazy until it’s actively killed it and stopped I’ll have another go this weekend 

As others have said sounds like collar batteries.

The only criticism I have of the locator is poor battery life.

It is critical the batteries are in good order and I now change them regularly.

My mates and me have had issues even with new ones. You just don't know how long people have had them in the shop.

There is a device seen on utube for testing the batteries but they are crap. They show batteries at 100% but they wont run the collar.

I use rechargeable batteries in the locator and get a season out of a battery.

Again the locator seems to be heavy on batteries.

Obviously battery life depends on how much you use it and on the land we ferret it gets some use.

On 06/01/2020 at 17:15, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

Eventually been an bought a new box and collar as the old mk2 had its day is it just me or is it very difficult to locate a ferret  had one kill in on Saturday in a fairly deep set dug it at five foot before but could not get an accurate reading kept on going from 16 foot to 4ft is it faulty or do I not know how to use it above ground the reading is bang on and took me ages just to get a reading off the box the earth is sand and shale and never had problem with the grey box had it in a shallow set about a foot deep and was all good 

I got a mk3 couple yr ago and I just karnt get on with it and I never had a prob with old mk 1 ,

i must start useing it as I never get the hang of the thing .

On 06/01/2020 at 21:12, budgie123 said:

As others have said sounds like collar batteries.

The only criticism I have of the locator is poor battery life.

It is critical the batteries are in good order and I now change them regularly.

My mates and me have had issues even with new ones. You just don't know how long people have had them in the shop.

There is a device seen on utube for testing the batteries but they are crap. They show batteries at 100% but they wont run the collar.

I use rechargeable batteries in the locator and get a season out of a battery.

Again the locator seems to be heavy on batteries.

Obviously battery life depends on how much you use it and on the land we ferret it gets some use.

I sent a mk3 back thinking it was faulty but it was batteries ,got them from local gun shop and like you say they could have been on shelf yrs ,